My Life as Laura: How I Searched for Laura Ingalls Wilder and Found Myself

by Kelly Kathleen Ferguson

Kelly Kathleen Ferguson needed to know - was connecting with her lifelong heroine the key to knowing herself? She decided to find out. Kelly donned a prairie dress and retraced the pioneer journey of Laura Ingalls Wilder. From Wisconsin to Minnesota, South Dakota to Missouri, she explored Laura's past and her own. Part travelogue, part memoir and part social commentary, My Life as Laura shows how a relationship with a pioneer girl who lived in little houses long ago can give a sense of purpose for today.… (more)

At first I labeled the author as a kook. I mean, traveling to the places Laura Ingles Wildef lived dressed in a 'pseudo prairie dress'? As I continued to read and realized this was a great idea. If you love Little House on the Prairie, this book is a must read. If you never read them, I would suggest you do that first so the book will make more sense. Ferguson sees herself as a modern day.Laura and identifies with her. A little quirky, this is a fun read that will leave you smiling. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Aug 20, 2016 |
A woman decides to retrace the journeys of Laura Ingalls Wilder while wearing a prairie dress.

At the beginning of the book, the author does a good job of balancing information about Laura and about herself, but as the story moves into South Dakota and then Missouri, there is less about Laura and more about the author--and I missed having some of the background about Laura and her life and about the experiences of seeing the "tourist" spots related to Laura.

I did also wonder why, when the author realized that Her Manly was not The Manly For Her, that she continued with her plan to move to New Orleans rather than perhaps choosing a different destination such as Mansfield, Missouri where she seemed to feel so much at home while visiting, and perhaps pursuing a job at the LIW site. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 4, 2016 |
I admit that the origin of the dress mandate was fuzzy at best.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,762,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible