dismiss

Imagine: How Creativity Works by Jonah…

Imagine: How Creativity Works (2012)

by Jonah Lehrer

"New York Times"-bestselling author Lehrer ("How We Decide") introduces readers to musicians, graphic artists, poets, and bartenders to show how they can use science to be more imaginative and make their cities, their companies, and their culture more creative.

“Imagine,” besides being a terrific John Lennon song, is a great book about creativity, insight, imagination and how we get and develop ideas. If you ever have had an “ah-ha” moment, if the solution to some problem you have been thinking about for some time suddenly comes to you or if you have come up with an idea that is new, original an exciting, this book explains how that happens in your brain, how the brain’s two hemispheres work together to solve problems and provide insight.
This book has to talk about the brain, parts of the brain and how the brain functions, but since it is written by a lay man instead of a scientist or professor, it is written so that anyone can understand it.
The book deals with all types of creative thought, both on a personal and individual basis, or a small group basis, in larger groups and communities and even in whole cities and nations. It tell how minds work together to create unique new ideas and how even bustling cities contribute to creative thought under the right circumstances.
Moreover, it gives guidance in how to put the tools it discusses to good use.
Sometimes I struggle to keep going with some books of non-fiction and sometimes I take far too long to read them, “attacking” them in small chunks over long periods of time. That was not the case with this book. It grabbed me from the start, used stories and anecdotal information to keep me going and fascinating me with its often counterintuitive research-based conclusions,
It is an interesting read and will leave any reader better informed and more able to use his/her own creative powers by applying ideas fro this book.
It is a “good read.” ( )
  Paul-the-well-read | Apr 18, 2020 |
This man makes science writing an art form. His clarity when it come to explains the workings of the mind for the creative process is second to none.

The second half of the book is excellent as well.

He covers all the best collaborative processes and studies the best examples of companies and circumstances (e.g. cites) that make the creative process so beneficial to mankind ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
I cannot in good conscience read any of his books, since he has admitted to fabricating quotes. ( )
  carlahaunted | Jan 8, 2019 |
"Imagine" was a hugely accessible and interesting read--as one of the blurbs on the cover says, Jonah Lehrer (for all his writerly faults) is both a scientist and a writer. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
This book never excited me the way Lehrer's How We Decide did. It rarely was as concise or as powerful or as clear as the earlier book. On occasion, I felt he came to questionable conclusions on issues, primarily because I found it very easy to come up with alternative explanations for his findings. Moreover, I would change the subtitle from "How Creativity Works" to "How to Promote Innovation and Facilitate Problem-Solving", but maybe that's just my slant on what "creativity" means. Nevertheless, there are sections, especially during the later half of the book, that are well worth reading. Serious educators should read "The Shakespeare Paradox". For instance, he points out how American teachers show a preference for teaching students with less creative characteristics, because those with traits most closely aligned with creative thought were too hard to teach and under performed on standardized tests. He also points out how well we encourage talent in sports, but don't apply the same system for identifying and encouraging engineers or other non-sports talent. ( )
  larryerick | Apr 26, 2018 |
The goal of “Imagine,” according to its subtitle, is to tell us “how creativity works” — to offer a scientific, mechanistic account of a seemingly ineffable phenomenon. And what distinguishes the scientific from other modes of thinking is not its technology, level of detail or even subject matter, but its ability to discover reliable cause-and-effect relationships. The clarity of physics and chemistry is rare in social science, but this is no license for presenting interesting speculations as settled truths.

The best way to think about “Imagine” is as a collection of interesting stories and studies to ponder and research further. Use it as a source of inspiration, but make your own careful choices about whether to believe what it says about the science of creativity.

Hell is a place where nothing connects with nothing.
—T. S. Eliot, Introduction to Dante's Inferno
For Sarah and Rose

Note: Jonah Lehrer [...] was discovered to have routinely recycled his earlier work, plagiarised press releases, and misused quotes and facts. His third book, Imagine: How Creativity Works (2012), was the starting point of scrutiny, when quotes attributed to Bob Dylan were discovered to be fabrications. Jonah Lehrer in Wikipedia

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,494,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible