Awakening (Infinity Blade, #1) by Brandon…

Awakening (Infinity Blade, #1) (edition 2011)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Infinity Blade (Volume 1)

Trained from birth in swordplay and combat, a young knight named Siris has journeyed to the Dark Citadel with a single purpose: fight through the army of Titans to face the tyrannical God King in one-on-one combat. This was his father's sacred mission, and his father's before him, going back countless generations in an effort to free their people from enslavement. But when Siris somehow succeeds where all those from his bloodline previously have failed, he finds himself cast into a much larger world, filled with warriors and thieves, ancient feuds and shifting alliances, Deathless immortals and would-be kings. His quest for freedom will take him on an epic journey in search of the mythical figure known as the Worker of Secrets - the one being in the world who can unravel the secrets of the Infinity Blade. Based on the bestselling video game from ChAIR Entertainment and Epic Games, this all-new adventure from acclaimed fantasy author Brandon Sanderson digs deeper into the fantastical world of Infinity Blade, a world of mystery and intrigue where magic and technology are indistinguishable, and even life and death are not what they seem. Brandon Sanderson has published six solo novels with Tor Books-Elantris, the Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker, and The Way of Kings-as well as four books in the middle-grade Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians series from Scholastic. He was chosen to complete Robert Jordan's long-running Wheel of Time series, to which he added 2009's The Gathering Storm and 2010's Towers of Midnight, as well as the final book in the series, A Memory of Light, scheduled for release in 2012. Currently living in Utah with his wife and children, Brandon teaches creative writing at Brigham Young University.… (more)
Member:DESTROYandPLUNDER
Title:Awakening (Infinity Blade, #1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:ChAIR Entertainment Group, Kindle Edition, 128 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Infinity Blade: Awakening by Brandon Sanderson

I've never played the game this book is about but the story is amazing. It starts like fantasy and it ends like sci-fi but the transition is smooth and very well done. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
The most amazing thing to me after reading this is the fact that this is the first Brandon Sanderson book I've ever read. I clearly have been missing out.

It is novella-length; it's rather as if it's been serialized into novellas instead of being one large book. Personally, I think that's great. If I wasn't enjoying it at this point, I would have spent half as much as buying a full-length novel. So I really don't know why anyone is complaining. Okay, it does suck if you were caught off-guard by it, but I'll bet you can think of a book you wish you'd only wasted half the time and money on.

I really love the unconventional start, just after what should have been a climactic scene. The inclusion of technology as deadminds was intriguing; it's always entertaining when tech effectively becomes magical items.

All in all, loved it. On the down side, apparently the second book picks up some distance off and expects that you're familiar with the story from the video game. That's really giving me pause about reading it. ( )
  jjLitke | Sep 21, 2018 |
More of a curiosity than a story, this novella is what happens when someone tries to take the rules of video game logic and make them into a coherent magic system.

Sanderson is great a magic systems, so it works way better than it has any right to. The effort tends to blot out the lackluster characters and unsatisfying ending, which does little more than push the reader by the shoulders towards the video game it ties in with.

I'd be interested in seeing a novelization that includes the events of the game itself, in order to render this into a complete story. ( )
  shabacus | Jun 22, 2018 |
I probably would have enjoyed this more if I was familiar with the iOS mobile game, or the Infinity Blade franchise in general. As it were, I've never played it, I don't even know the first thing about it, so I was not surprised at all at how often I felt lost while reading this and at the many questions I had after I finished.

I admit I picked this up because it was penned by Brandon Sanderson. But despite being written by one of my favorite fantasy authors, I didn't find anything too impressive about this novella. The franchise isn't Sanderson's own creation so he obviously had certain limitations to work within and guidelines to follow. I could tell he wasn't "stretching out" as much as he could with his writing talents, possibly due to the fact that he didn't have his usual freedoms.

I'm proof that this book is readable even if you don't play or if you are not a fan of the game, but a lot of it will end up being confusing. As this short story is meant to be the bridge between the first Infinity Blade and its sequel, it is really meant for those who want more background into the story of the game it's based upon. ( )
1 vote stefferoo | Mar 9, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Infinity Blade (Volume 1)

Trained from birth in swordplay and combat, a young knight named Siris has journeyed to the Dark Citadel with a single purpose: fight through the army of Titans to face the tyrannical God King in one-on-one combat. This was his father’s sacred mission, and his father’s before him, going back countless generations in an effort to free their people from enslavement. But when Siris somehow succeeds where all those from his bloodline previously have failed, he finds himself cast into a much larger world, filled with warriors and thieves, ancient feuds and shifting alliances, Deathless immortals and would-be kings. His quest for freedom will take him on an epic journey in search of the mythical figure known as the Worker of Secrets—the one being in the world who can unravel the secrets of the Infinity Blade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,316,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible