Inca Gold by Clive Cussler

Inca Gold (edition 1994)

by Clive Cussler

Series: Dirk Pitt (12)

An action-filled chase through the Amazon jungle for 16th Century Spanish treasure. Joining in the pursuit are Dirk Pitt, the hero, his congresswoman girlfriend, the FBI, the Customs Service, archaeologists, a tribe of local Indians, smugglers and various thieves. There's plenty of treasure for everyone, the gold requiring 200 men just to lift.… (more)
Member:McCoyD
Title:Inca Gold
Authors:Clive Cussler
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, c1994.

Inca Gold by Clive Cussler

The Vivero Letter by Desmond Bagley (Neale)
    Neale: Clive Cussler is the the modern day adventure writer - Inca Gold is a great read and has diving and other adventurous escapades. More action than Bagley.

English (24)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Man these are getting long. 20 hours on the audiobook. Even at 2.5x, that's a while. It probably doesn't help that every. single. time. a measurement is mentioned, it has to be converted. Is that the same in the print version? Because it's maddening...

Pitt's heart pumped a good five liters (a gallon) of adrenaline through his system, but he remained calm and clinically surveyed the towering figure that looked like a monstrosity out of a science fiction horror movie.

On the other hand, there are so very many quotes from these books that make them a joy to read:

The inside of her one-piece black Lycra swim suit was nicely filled by an hourglass figure with an extra twenty minutes thrown in for good measure, and when she moved it was with the fluid grace of a Balinese dancer.

What does it even mean?

Gunn shrugged. "He's my boss as well as yours. I'm an old navy man. I follow orders."

"I'm old air force," Pitt replied. "I question them."

Or ignore them for the greater good. Or a good action scene. Pitt in a nutshell.

For a moment she was too stunned to answer. Then finally, she stammered, "Dirk. . . is it really you?"

"If there's another one, I hope they catch him before he signs our name to a lot of checks. I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner."

Wonderful.

"It," he answered, "is a pre-Columbian antiquity that contains the directions to hidden riches worth so much money it would take you and your buddies in Congress all of two days to spend it."

She looked at him suspiciously. "You must be joking. That would be over a billion dollars."

"I never joke about lost treasure."

He's not even wrong.

Plotwise, it's pretty much a Dirk Pitt adventure in a nutshell, everything somehow linked and larger than life. This time around we're in South America, with an ancient sacrificial pool (Pitt to the rescue), kidnapped friends and new acquaintance (Pitt to the rescue), a crazy underground river chock full of gold (Pitt to the rescue?), and a crime family that deals in stole art (Pitt to the rescue!). It actually fits together than most of the Dirk Pitt plots, so I'll take it.

Charaterwise, it's pretty much the Pitt and friends we've come to know. We're seeing more and more of others such as Permutter and Yaeger and Gunn--and I like it. It's interesting to see how they are each fiercely, maddeningly loyal to Pitt yet each in their own way with their own strengths. I will say though (since computers are my thing), that Yaeger's tenth floor super computer system is getting a bit ridiculous. Breaking Incan quipu in a matter of hours? Finding a centuries old sea wreck? If you need something done, put the computers on it. It will be done in hours. Impossible. But it keeps the story moving, so it goes.

It's interesting to see a lamp hung on Pitt's increasingly vengeful solution to the baddies:

These men had come to kill all witnesses to a criminal operation. Kill or be killed was a cliché, but it held true.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily the right thing to do.

Womenwise, Cussler has progressed a lot through this books. Heck, one of the main characters is a Congresswoman who sometimes at least can hold her own with Pitt. That being said, exactly how many times has she been kidnapped? This book alone? Oy.

It's also interesting that Pitt's pining for Summer (from [b:Pacific Vortex!|361081|Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)|Clive Cussler|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1269478239l/361081._SY75_.jpg|6841892]) has come up again. I don't recall that in any of the intervening books. It makes sense and it's making Pitt a more solid character, but ... now?

Oh. And of course Cussler is back:

Pitt smiled as he stared at the road ahead. "He could really spin the yarns, couldn't he?"

"The old cook? He certainly had an active imagination."

"I'm sorry I didn't get his name."

Loren settled back in the seat and gazed out her window as the dunes gave way to a tapestry of mesquite and cactus. "He told me what it was."

"And?"

"It was an odd name." She paused, trying to remember. Then she shrugged in defeat. "Funny thing . . . I've already forgotten it."

Of course.

Edit 2/27: It seems Clive Cussler has passed away. 80 books in 85 years. On top of starting a real life NUMA and finding numerous ship wrecks. Quite the life and quite the legacy.
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Another good story from Cussler. The usual characters--Pitt, the Admiral, Pitt's gal pal Congressman, and sidekick Al. A good adventure story backed up with some amount of archaeological research into the Inca civilization. The audio was somewhat distracting at times, switching voices in mid sentence--it's almost like they patched over some rough spots in the original narration. Fun read without much concentration required...on to book #13. ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 3, 2021 |
The vast amounts of gold the Inca possessed at the time of Pizarro is legendary, yet even as the Spaniards plundered the riches they began wondering if they had found everything. Inca Gold is the twelfth book in the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler as the titular character and his ever faithful friend Al Giordino begin their adventure with going on a rescue mission in the Andes only to end up needing rescue at the end in the Sea of Cortez.

In 1532 a fleet of ships sails in secret to an island in the middle of an inland sea. There they hide a magnificent treasure vaster than that any Pharaoh would ever possess. Then they disappear, leaving only a great stone demon to guard their hoard. In 1578 the legendary Sir Francis Drake captures a Spanish galleon filled with Inca gold and silver and the key to the lost treasure, which includes a gigantic chain of gold, a masterpiece of ancient technology so huge that it requires two hundred men to lift it and a large pile of diamonds worth more than 200 billion dollars that belonged to the last Inca. As the galleon is sailed by Drake's crew back to England, an underwater earthquake causes a massive tidal wave that sweeps it into the jungle. Only one man survives to tell the tale. In 1998 a group of archaeologists is nearly drowned while diving into the depths of a sacrificial pool high in the Andes of Peru. They are saved by the timely arrival of the renowned scuba diving hero Dirk Pitt, who is in the area on a marine expedition. Pitt soon finds out that his life has been placed in jeopardy as well by smugglers intent on uncovering the lost ancient Incan treasure. Soon, he, his faithful companions, and Dr. Shannon Kelsey, a beautiful young archaeologist, are plunged into a vicious, no-holds-barred struggle to survive. From then on it becomes a battle of wits in a race against time and danger to find the golden chain, as Pitt finds himself caught up in a struggle with a sinister international family syndicate that deal in stolen works of art, the smuggling of ancient artifacts, and art forgery worth many millions of dollars. The clash between the art thieves, the FBI and the Customs Service, a tribe of local Indians, and Pitt, along with his friends from NUMA, two of whom are captured and threatened with execution, rushes toward a wild climax in a subterranean world of darkness and death – for the real key to the mystery, as it turns out, is a previously unknown, unexplored underground river that runs through the ancient treasure chamber.

This is the book that originally got me into the Dirk Pitt series—via audiobook—and over twenty years later it very much holds up as a fun adventure yarn that keeps the pages turning. While the book isn’t perfect for various factors, the first being that the “main” antagonist went from being clever conman that kills when necessary to a raging would-be killer in one scene in the middle of the book that was jarring especially since his main henchman was already a wanton murderer who took pleasure in it. Cussler switches with his female “lead” with Dr. Kelsey being replaced mid-book with Pitt’s on-off flame Loren Smith, but for once Smith is fully fleshed out and not giving off damsel-in-distress vibe like previous books. The main positive of the book is that all the subplots are not only intriguing but have good characters like Billy Yuma that tie into the main plot as the book reaches its climax.

Inca Gold is the book I personally feel that the Dirk Pitt series began hitting its stride at least what I remember from the late-90s to the mid-00s. Clive Cussler mixes characters, plot, and action to create a real page-turning adventure that will make you take a look around for more of his titular character. ( )
  mattries37315 | Apr 29, 2020 |
Dirk Pitt discovers an underground river that leads to a storehouse of Inca gold. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Weer een aardig boek, volgens het bekende Cussler stramien. Stukje uit de oudheid, daarna sprong naar het heden. Dirk red een vrouw uit handen van boeven, en uiteindelijk ook nog eens een grote goudschat. Ondertussen helpt hij ook nog eens mee om een smokkelbende op te rollen.

Wat een beetje irritant begint te worden is dat Clive Cussler zich zelf steeds in een verhaal schrijft. De ene keer als eigenaar van een bijzonder jacht, dan weer als een bar-eigenaar.

O, en Pitt krijgt een (ondergrondse) rivier naar zich genoemd.

Er zijn betere maar ook slechtere boeken van Cussler dan deze.

EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

TEA DUE (366)
In memory of Dr. Harold Edgerton, Bob Hesse, Erick Schonstedt, and Peter Throckmorton, loved and respected by everyone whose lives they touched.
They came from the south with the morning sun, shimmering like ghosts in a desert mirage as they slipped across the sun-sparkled water.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,404,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible