The Last Boyfriend: Number 2 in series: 2/3…

The Last Boyfriend: Number 2 in series: 2/3 (Inn at Boonsboro Trilogy) (edition 2013)

by Nora Roberts (Author)

Working alongside his mother and brother restoring a historic hotel in Boonsboro, Maryland, Owen Montgomery falls for a childhood friend.
Member:ScapeKonvikt
Title:The Last Boyfriend: Number 2 in series: 2/3 (Inn at Boonsboro Trilogy)
Authors:Nora Roberts (Author)
Info:Piatkus Books (2013), 416 pages

The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts

I have mixed feelings about this trilogy. First off, while the characters are engaging, they are all rehashes of other Nora Roberts characters... (Ryder is Malcolm from the Brides quartet and Xander from The Obsession, Hope and Owen are both Parker from Brides, etc). And presumably the character of Justine is meant to be Nora Roberts herself, as her family does seem to own about half of Boonsboro, MD...which pretty much makes the trilogy one long advertisement for her businesses. All that being said, the advert worked, as I am ready to take a trip to stay at Inn Boonsboro (perhaps in the Eve and Roarke room, wink wink nudge nudge). ( )
  sanyamakadi | Jun 30, 2021 |
This was a OK book. I like the first one in the trilogy better. This one didn't have as strong a plot as the last one and it seemed to move more slowly. Usually I zip through Nora Roberts' books but this one was slow for me. The characters were OK. I liked Sean better than Avery. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Feb 18, 2021 |
Well not too much to say except this was kind of boring. Roberts seems mostly fixated on the decorations in this one and not actually developing the characters. We have one moment of tension/plot that is quickly dealt with which didn't feel realistic to me. I liked Avery and Owen separately, but didn't really find their love story engaging at all. Also I just realized the whole ghost thing is reminding me way too much of "In the Garden" and it just started to bug me after a while.

"The Last Boyfriend" follows the events of the last book several months later. We now have Clare and Beckett planning for their wedding and that of course has Avery thinking about romance. Avery starts to wonder about Owen after the two of them have a moment together. Owen likes his life and business perfectly ordered. When he decides to get involved with Avery, he realizes that he's going to have to let some things go if they are going to be able to have a future together.

I don't know. This book felt off to me somewhat. Too many things were happening. Owen and Avery are thinking about and then do start dating. We had Owen and Hope still trying to figure out "Lizzy's" identity. The Montgomery boys mother has more and more plans and Avery has a secret dream that may involve all of them. Clare is trying to get her wedding plans together. Someone from Avery's past returns and then we have a misunderstanding that left me wanting to smack Owen. Everything was just thrown at you in this book with people still screeching about the picture perfect inn.

I do agree with some reviewers that Avery really was a great heroine and I have to say she was. I liked her spontaneity and why she got into cooking and I loved her dream and how that all came about. I do think that Roberts rushed through one of her sub-plots though. It could have given the book some needed tension.

Owen was just boring and reminded me of a dozen of Roberts male character tropes in her trilogies.

The writing was fine, the flow was eh and I was ultimately bored when we got to the ending. I am going to say that I am glad that we get to see seasons/months change in this series. Often Roberts trilogies take place over a couple of weeks/months and it doesn't feel realistic to have people just falling in love back to back. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I'm enjoying these audiobooks a lot. I love the way Roberts writes the couple's stories but at the same time includes the entire family and friends stories too; so we're not having to lose any of our couples. And this setting around the Inn Boonsboro is just perfect. These books have been the perfect getaway during the day making my work life so much more relaxing. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
This is the second book in a trilogy. I loved this one. Full of love and some real life angst. This series gets better and better. And to top it off here is a link to the real Inn owned by Nora Roberts.

https://innboonsboro.com/inn-history/ ( )
  whybehave2002 | Aug 13, 2018 |

Roberts, Noraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, MacLeodReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love sought is good, but given unsought is better.  -Shakespeare

The heart has its reasons which reason cannot know.  - Pascal
To Dan and Charlotte, For the trust that let you reach for one another.  For the generosity and inclusiveness of that embrace.  For the humor that brings light to your lives.  And for the love, so rich and bright, binding it all together.
A fat winter moon poored light over the old stone and brick of the inn on The Square.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,197,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible