Empire State by Adam Christopher

Good book with great writing. The mystery unfolds until the final pages. A thrill ride ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
More noir than science fiction, but that is what you might expect when a Prohibition-era mirror-image of New York is connected to a Roaring New York by a fissure. Great story and lots of twists in the plot. ( )
  econmatrix007 | Sep 9, 2018 |
I loved this book. Superheroes, noir, mystery, robots, blimps, the kitchen sink. One of my favorite books of the yer. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
While I have to give the author credit for "high concept" this mash-up of noir and superhero tropes I felt was only interesting, not really gripping, in that the none of the characters captured my imagination and the world building seemed too shallow; it would probably make a neat graphic novel though! ( )
  Shrike58 | Oct 24, 2017 |
While a little uneven at the start, the last 25% of the book is a long rolling climax that's very satisfying. If you're a pulps fan, you'll enjoy this book on many levels.

Alas, having read this on my Kindle, I found it too easy to put down and forget to pick up again (which is why it took me more than a year from purchase to completion). Still, Adam Christopher's next novels are all downloaded and waiting for me to try them before purchasing (and that's the best compliment I can pay most writers--wanting to read more of their work right away).

SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Christopher's tightly plotted novel is a truly original debut that, while subtly referencing Orwell, Kafka, Marvel comics and Philip K Dick, manages to maintain its own distinctive tone – a genuine pathos and longing for something elusively other. Recommended.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0857661930, Paperback)

THE EMPIRE STATE IS THE OTHER NEW YORK. A parallel-universe, Prohibition-era world of mooks and shamuses that is the twisted magic mirror to our bustling Big Apple, a place where sinister characters lurk around every corner while the great superheroes that once kept the streets safe have fallen into dysfunctional rivalries and feuds. Not that its colourful residents know anything about the real New York… until detective Rad Bradley makes a discovery that will change the lives of all its inhabitants. Playing on the classic Gotham conventions of the Batman comics and HBO’s Boardwalk Empire, debut author Adam Christopher has spun this smart and fast-paced superhero-noir adventure, the sort of souped-up thrill ride that will excite genre fans and general readers alike.

File Under: Science Fiction [ Pocket Universe | Heroes or Villains | Speak Easy | Loyalties Divided ]

e-book ISBN: 978-0-85766-194-4

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

"It's a parallel-universe, Prohibition-era world of mooks and shamuses that is the twisted magic mirror to our bustling Big Apple. It's a city where sinister characters lurk around every corner while the great superheroes who once kept the streets safe have fallen into deadly rivalries and feuds. Not that its colourful residents know anything about the real New York ... until detective Rad Bradley makes a discovery that will change the lives of all its inhabitants."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,145,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible