HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe…

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) (original 1950; edition 2005)

by C.S. Lewis

Four English schoolchildren find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch, who has cursed the land with eternal winter.
Member:nyobombshell
Title:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Info:HarperCollins Publishers, Paperback, 206 pages

Work Information

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
  4. 1914
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    A Walk out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Storm Keeper's Island by Catherine Doyle (MissBrangwen)
    A Soul as Cold as Frost by Jennifer Kropf (Anonymous user)
    Elidor by Alan Garner (Anonymous user)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Fairest of All by Sarah Mlynowski (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both books have children passing through a portal into a different world. Mlynowski's is the fairy tale world of Snow White; Lewis's is Narnia and is a Christian allegory.
    What I Learned in Narnia by Douglas Wilson (CherylLonski)
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)

1950s (10)

English (686)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (708)
I watched the movie adaptation of this book when I was a kid and I totally loved it. At that time, I didn't know the movie was actually based on a book, as I wasn't a reader, and books had nothing to do with me.

Reading this book in my 20s felt very nostalgic. I liked it. ( )
  autumn_wind | Jan 20, 2023 |
Good YA fantasy / allegory with a religous message. I haven't read the others in the series. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
Having watched the movie a few times, which I really like, I‘m glad I‘ve finally read the book. I was impressed with how closely the movie followed the book. I think though I would have liked the book more if I hadn‘t seen the movie. It lacked the novelty of the first book, The Magician‘s Nephew (& I may have missed Kenneth Branaugh‘s brilliant narration from the Magician). But of course it was still excellent and I look forward to the next book. ( )
  KarenMonsen | Dec 4, 2022 |
Super cute story! More plot then the prequel. ( )
  HeartofGold900 | Dec 3, 2022 |
I'm really not fond of children's books written in this style. I didn't like the Hobbit for this reason and I don't like this either. I don't like it when the author breaks the fourth wall and addresses the reader. When it's first person, it's different all together, but I just find it awkward. I don't know why so many children's novels are written that way.

That aside, this was a cute story, although short. I guess I'm not as blown away by it as some, it's just not really my style, but I liked it just fine. ( )
  Anniik | Nov 26, 2022 |
When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baynes, PaulineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Birmingham, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bovenkamp-Gordeau, Madeleine van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dan San SouciIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do not combine with any abridged edition.

Please do not combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do not combine The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe with The Chronicles of Narnia.

ISBN 0001857010 is also an abridged version.

Though some gender roles

are outdated, the story

stands the test of time.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,615,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible