Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, The by C. S.…

Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, The (original 1950; edition 1988)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:dennymeta
Title:Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, The
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:Lions Books (1988), Paperback

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (1950)

Recently added byC.A.P, mbernardi, jmnlman, private library, rena75, larisaploeg, Eric.Cone, leporej, HSGLibrary
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace, C. S. Lewis
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (FFortuna, Polenth, Omnigeek)
    Omnigeek: Classic Welsh mythology transformed into a children's fable enjoyable for all ages. The Book of Three is the first of Lloyd Alexander's pentology, The Prydain Chronicles, and starts the growth of young orphan (and Assistant Pig Keeper) Taran into a man.
    Five Children and It by E. Nesbit (Polenth)
  3. 1911
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Patangel)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Another story were a child goes to a fantasy world.
    The Secret Country by Pamela Dean (wordweaver)
    wordweaver: This is a YA novel that takes the group-of-kids-discover-a-portal-into-a-fantasy-world idea found in the Narnia books and uses it to explore issues of the imagination. The world the children in this story encounter appears to based upon a fantasy game they had been playing, and many elements of that game were influenced by books the children had read, clearly including the Chronicles of Narnia.… (more)
    The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson (multilingualmaid)
    A Walk out of the World by Ruth Nichols (bookel)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (krizia_lazaro)
    The Riddle of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Challenge of the Trumpalar by Judy Bernard-Waite (bookel)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Ruled by a white witch, a wintry forest - enchanted and treacherous -- doesn't deter a young girl from trying to save a spellbound friend. Filled with fairy tale elements, both of these affecting fantasies speak to universal longings.
    The Wand: The Return to Mesmeria by Allan W. Eckert (bookel)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (MissBrangwen)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    The Way to Windra by Patricia G. Baehr (bookel)
    The Hunt for the Eye of Ogin by Patrick Doud (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Normal kids in a magical new world.
    A Roomful of Magic by John Marsden (bookel)
    Into the Happy Glade by Trevor Dudley-Smith (bookel)
    The Magical Cupboard by Jane Louise Curry (bookel)

1950s (11)
Unread books (1,007)

English (574)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (589)
I think that there’s supposed to be a King Lear vibe to Edmund.

I might elaborate on that later— could be a little essay.

................................

That’s really clever; Lucy comes back with her wonder-story and the group not only doesn’t believe her but has *evidence*: Peter rapped his knuckles against the back of the wardrobe to make sure it was solid.

..................................

The feminine mystique guy— and this was 1950, Cinderella’s year— need not be intentionally cruel or crude or even unfair in a blatant way, or by his own lights, at all. But it’s so decided-on-in-advance.

You’re the innocent little girl, so you’re going to meet this cute, soon-to-be-reformed regretful criminal.

You’re the sullen, irritable, impure little boy, so you, you little rascal, you’re going to meet the Whore.

Decided-on-in-advance.

.... Although I suppose this doesn’t come as good news to Jack.

.................................

It is true that sugar is like a drug, gluttony like lechery, etc.

N.B. The flagged-review aspect is a holdover from an earlier version.
  smallself | Dec 15, 2018 |
The story begins with 4 children being shipped off to somewhere safe as the secon great world war is in full affect and England is a target by the axis. When the children arrive at their refuge they quickly grow bored and search for things to do around the house. One of the children quickly finds a mysterious wardrobe alone in a room. The curious child then climbs into the wardrobe and is transported into the Magical land of Narnia, little does she know is that there are many problems around Narnia that need their help. Back in the real world her siblings are starting to worry about where their sister is. Eventually they also find the wardrobe and venture into it themselves. From there they four siblings meet up and begin to address problems in narnia, including the "White Witch" who is attempting to enslave most of the peaceful beings in narnia. It is up to the four children and the allies they make to save narnia and become the rightful rulers.
  pitaaortiz | Nov 26, 2018 |
Read this as an audiobook with my daughter in the car whilst driving down to see granny and back this half term. Its a good story if a little dated now. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
Positively enchanting. I haven't been swept into a story so immediately in a while. I am only sorry that I waited so long to read/listen to it! C.S. Lewis sets the scene really well and this was great time of year to read/listen to it. It isn't very Christmas-y, but Christmas and winter do play a role. I really loved Edmund's character development, too. The audio was OK...I hold every audiobook up to Harry Potter/Jim Dale standards, so there's that. The 5 stars is definitely more for the story than the audio narration...sometimes a narrator can bump my review up a star, this is not the case here. I am really looking forward to continuing the series. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe has a series of books, but they are chapter books and is a classic fiction fantasy that has a fun imaginative and exciting view to it. These books are an easy read for upper elementary grade students. The story takes place during WWII in London and the four siblings are forced to relocate to a safe house. This new house Lucy discovers a new world within a wardrobe and the land is discovered and known as Narnia. This is one of my favorite books that I have read in a series of chapter books and recommend. I can see this as an assignment for a literature class for upper elementary grade levels. ( )
  RyanMurphy1 | Nov 20, 2018 |
When I began reading the story, it seemed well written but the fairy-tale atmosphere was curiously cut-and-dried... Two of my daughters re-educated me. I made the mistake of reading them the first chapter, and since then it has been two chapter a night, sometimes followed by tears when a third chapter is not forthcoming.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Nov 12, 1950)

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dan San SouciIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baynes, PaulineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Birmingham, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bovenkamp-Gordeau, Madeleine van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

To Lucy Barfield
My Dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be
your affectionate Godfather,
C. S. Lewis
Til Lucy Barfield

Kære Lucy

Jeg skriver denne historie til dig, men da jeg begyndte på den, havde jeg ikke gjort mig det klart, at piger vokser hurtigere end bøger, og at du allerede er blevet alt for gammel til at læse eventyr, og at du vil være endnu ældre, når den engang er blevet trykt og udgivet. Men en skønne dag bliver du gammel nok til at begynde at læse eventyr igen. Så kan du tage den ned fra hylden, støve den af og fortælle mig, hvad du synes om den. Til den tid er jeg sikkert for døv til at høre, hvad du siger, og for gammel til at forstå det, men jeg vil stadig være
din hengivne gudfar
C.S. Lewis
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.
Der var engang fire børn, som hed Peter, Susan, Edmund og Lucy.
"It means," said Aslan, "that though the witch knew the Deep Magic, there is a magic deeper still, which she did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. But if she could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."
"How stupid of me! But I've never seen a Son of Adam or a Daughter of Eve before. I am delighted..."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged edition.

Please do NOT combine ISBN 0007206054 (abridged movie storybook) with original full-length book.

Please do NOT combine "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

0001857010 is also an abridged version.

Though some gender roles

are outdated, the story

stands the test of time.

(CathWhitney)

There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia, and the first is about to be told in an extraordinary motion picture, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, from Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

In the never-ending war between good and evil, The Chronicles of Narnia set the stage for battles of epic proportions. Some take place in vast fields, where the forces of light and darkness clash. But other battles occur within the small chambers of the heart and are equally decisive.

Journeys to the ends of the world, fantastic creatures, betrayals, heroic deeds and friendships won and lost -- all come together in an unforgettable world of magic. So join the battle to end all battles.

The second volume in
The Chronicles of Narnia®
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Narnia .... a land frozen in eternal winter ... a country waiting to be set free.

Four adventurers step through a wardrobe door and into the land of Narnia -- a land enslaved by the power of the White Witch. But when almost all hope is lost, the return of the Great Lion, Aslan, signals a great change ... and a great sacrifice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,855,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible