Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, Book…

The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, Book 7) (original 1956; edition 1970)

by C. S. Lewis (Author)

When evil comes to Narnia, Jill and Eustace help fight the great last battle and Aslan leads his people to a glorious new paradise.
Member:msmith2704
Title:The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, Book 7)
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Info:Collier Books (1970), 184 pages

Work Information

The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis (1956)

English (158)  Dutch (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (165)
Pretty awful. This is not its own book, it's a weird follow-up to/treatise on the rest of the series, where Narnia is depleted and depressing, racist and Islamophobic stereotypes abound, and we are happy about the death of children because they get to go to heaven. C.S. Lewis still obviously has some powers of vivid description, but I just can't get over the blatant allegory, or the awfulness of death and defeat in this book (the train, the cat who can no longer speak, the massacre of the horses, Eustace borne off into the door, Jill dragged by the hair, the bear killed in his confusion), and how it all supposed to be smoothed over into religious ecstasy of further up and further in. No. It's too unsettling. And Susan is left all alone, without even her parents.

But I see why so many people set out to rewrite or send up Narnia--The Magicians, Piranesi, His Dark Materials. It's an interesting, polarizing series, and there is a lot of it left unwritten. And if you can lean into the disturbing qualities, it can become even more evocative. The most interesting part of this book, in my opinion, is when Jill and Eustace talk about their lives in the real world-- that they know they're the only Friends of Narnia who can come back, so they've been training in archery and swordfighting, and their brief story about Peter and Edmund going back to Diggory and Polly's old row of houses to dig up the rings for them. Also the scene where Tirian appears to the Friends of Narnia like a ghost and Peter is the only one who does not move. Come on Lev Grossman, there's your material for a gritty Narnia-inspired book!
  misslevel | Oct 13, 2021 |
This book makes me uneasy, quite frankly.

Look, I'll give Lewis props for a rather unexpected ending to the series. It's bold, mature and the exact opposite (in some ways) of the "everyone lives" philosophy of Russell T Davies or JK Rowling. Completely destabilising Narnia is something that feels visceral to anyone who fell in love with the books as a child. And I did enjoy, somewhat, the comic allegory of the faux Aslan.

But... pardon the pun, Jesus Christ this is skeevy. For the most part, the series as Christian allegory could be wilfully ignored if you wanted to just enjoy the texture of the books and their creation of a world. Not so much here, quite frankly. Even aside from Lewis' infamous "screw you" to Susan for, you know, being interested in sex and make-up, the book is rather blatant in what it wants to push on to children.

As I mentioned in my "Silver Chair" review, I'm not inherently against this. After all, it worked for such luminaries as Dante and Evelyn Waugh. But there's a clear difference here, I feel, and - while I can still appreciate the allegory even from my anti-religious bias - this simply doesn't feel like a fitting end to the Narnia series. Instead, it feels like an overly aggressive Sunday School teacher who's tired of just sitting around and telling kind stories. I completely understand Lewis' passion, from his point of view, to try and show the true terror of losing his world to a more secular one. It's just a pity that rather than simply writing essays about the perceived problem, he had to incorporate it so thoroughly into the final book of a much beloved children's series.

In spite of my beliefs, and the fact that Philip Pullman and his ilk have eradicated our generation's need for Narnia, I still treasure these books from my childhood, and always will. It's just a pity, that's all it is. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 5, 2021 |
An excellent and fitting end. ( )
  joshcrouse3 | Sep 17, 2021 |
Evil threatens to end Narnia.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 11, 2021 |
Case 13 shelf 4
  semoffat | Aug 31, 2021 |
The Christian symbolism is clear enough, but the book can stand on its own feet as a deeply moving and hauntingly lovely story apart from the doctrinal content.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pauline BaynesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the last days of Narnia, far up to the west beyond Lantern Waste and close beside the great waterfall, there lived an Ape.
I Narnias sidste dage, langt mod vest hinsides Lygtemarken og ikke langt fra det store vandfald, levede der en abe.
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Last Battle" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Das Finale der Chroniken von Narnia! Böse Zeiten brechen über das Land des Löwen herein. Der Affe Listig verkleidet den Esel Wirrkopf mit einem Löwenfell und gibt ihn als Aslan, den mächtigen Schöpfer Narnias, aus. Die Bewohner des Landes werden versklavt und nach Kalormen verkauft. Aslan bringt Eustachius und Jill auf seine eigene Art und Weise nach Narnia, um dem Betrug ein Ende zu bereiten. Als die Kalormen aber ihren Gott Tash ins Spiel bringen, beginnt der eigentliche Kampf. Wie wird er enden? Wird Narnia weiterleben oder untergehen? Werden die Kalormen die Oberhand gewinnen und Narnia vernichten?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,341,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible