dismiss

Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis

Out of the Silent Planet

by C. S. Lewis

Series: Space Trilogy (1)

In the first book of C.S. Lewis's legendary science fiction trilogy, Dr. Ransom is kidnapped and spirited by spaceship to the mysterious red planet of Malandra. He escapes and goes on the run, jeopardizing both his chances of ever returning to Earth and his very life. First published in 1943, this classic interplanetary fantasy continues to delight readers around the world. Written during the dark hours immediately before and during the Second World War, C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy, of which Out of the Silent Planet is the first volume, stands alongside such works as Albert Camus's The Plague and George Orwell's 1984 as a timely parable that has become timeless, beloved by succeeding generations as much for the sheer wonder of its storytelling as for the significance of the moral concerns. For the trilogy's central figure, C.S. Lewis created perhaps the most memorable character of his career, the brilliant, clear-eyed, and fiercely brave philologist Dr. Elwin Ransom. Appropriately, Lewis modeled Dr. Ransom after his dear friend J.R.R. Tolkien, for in the scope of its imaginative achievement and the totality of its vision of not one but two imaginary worlds, the Space Trilogy is rivaled in this century only by Tolkien's trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Readers who fall in love with Lewis's fantasy series The Chronicles of Narnia as children, unfailingly cherish his Space Trilogy as adults; it, too, brings to life strange and magical realms in which epic battles are fought between the forces of light and those of darkness. But in the many layers of its allegory, and the sophistication and piercing brilliance of its insights into the human condition, it occupies a place among the English language's most extraordinary works for any age, and for all time. Out of the Silent Planet introduces Dr. Ransom and chronicles his abduction by a megalomaniacal physicist and his accomplice via space ship to the planet Malacandra. The two men are in need of a human sacrifice and Dr. Ransom would seem to fit the bill. Dr. Ransom escapes upon landing, though, and goes on the run, a stranger in a land that, like Jonathan Swift's Lilliput, is enchanting in its difference from Earth and instructive in its similarity.… (more)
    That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis (atrautz)
    Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (atrautz, KayCliff)
    The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C. S. Lewis (Sylak)
    Sylak: Once you've read every book C.S. Lewis published read this one for one last treat.
    The Shadow and Night by Chris Walley (legendaryneo)
    legendaryneo: This is another Christian space trilogy, and one of the best series I've ever read.
    Between Planets by Robert A. Heinlein (markusnenadovus)
    markusnenadovus: Lewis is great, but Heinlein does better SF

English (132)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (138)
I first read this in grade 8, and I loved it. I went back years later, and it's still great fun, but Lewis makes me want more from it. He's broad in his scope, and the book has some fairly clear allegorical expansions, yet it's still one of those books that's good enough to make me wish it was better... ( )
  james.d.gifford | Apr 4, 2020 |
I tried to read this years ago as a teenager, and I DNF-ed halfway through because it was far too weird and strange and uncomfortable for me. I don't usually like sci-fi, and this was just bizarre. I love Lewis, Narnia, and Screwtape, however.

This one just wasn't for me.
  Aerelien | Mar 23, 2020 |
Extremely dated - not in a good way - and not special at all. The happy adventurer has an adventure, Oh Jolly Good Show say what.

This book is from "another world" (pun) compared to today's vastly better but still usually shitty Sci-Fi.
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
1969 printing. 1977 printing ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
Wow. I loved this book. I feel as though I was there myself.

Spoilery thoughts here:

75-year-old book spoiler alert! LOL ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |

Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
S. A. Summit IncCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symancyk, BernardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother W. H. L. a life-long critic of the space-and-time story
The last drops of the thundershower had hardly ceased falling when the Pedestrian stuffed his map into his pocket, settled his pack more comfortably on his tired shoulders, and stepped out from the shelter of a large chestnut-tree into the middle of the road.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,714,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible