The Tea Party and the Remaking of Republican Conservatism (2012)

by Theda Skocpol, Vanessa Williamson

On February 19, 2009, CNBC commentator Rick Santelli delivered a dramatic rant against Obama administration programs to shore up the plunging housing market. Invoking the Founding Fathers and ridiculing ""losers"" who could not pay their mortgages, Santelli called for ""Tea Party"" protests. Over the next two years, conservative activists took to the streets and airways, built hundreds of local Tea Party groups, and weighed in with votes and money to help right-wing Republicans win electoral victories in 2010. In this penetrating new study, Harvard University's Theda Skocpol and Vanessa Willia… (more)

I'll say up-front that this book most certainly could have used an additional pass with an editor... its structure and writing both suffer from being under-developed. This could be because it's not quite made for a pop audience (the authors are academics, etc), but I'm reviewing it as a pop-poli sci reader, so that's my perspective. Regardless, the picture it paints--a "how we got here" with regard to the American far-right--is helpful and detailed. I first read this book long before the 2016 US election and was grateful for a window into the minds of people with a very fundamentally different politics than my own. Since 2016, I've recommended it to so many friends who were puzzled/surprised by 2016's results. ( )
  stephencolon | Jan 6, 2022 |
There wasn't much to this book other than a lot of poll discussion and some anecdotes, although some of the media discussion was interesting. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone whose bookclub hasn't chosen it since it wasn't very clearly written. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |

Theda Skocpolprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williamson, Vanessamain authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,115,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible