BookSpeak!: Poems About Books by Laura…

BookSpeak!: Poems About Books

by Laura Purdie Salas

Great for reading early in the school year to create a community of book-lovers.
  tania.taylor1967 | Apr 24, 2017 |
"Book Speak!" is a fun and whimsical poem collection about. . . books! This poetry collection talks about index, covers, cliff hangers, picture books, and more. I really like "On the Shelf and Under the Bed" and how it explains perfect books aren't anything unless they're read. I really love the different ideas given about books through each poem. It really gets children thinking about what, when, how and why books. I really loved this collection and it just makes me want to read and never stop! ( )
  bethanygc | Nov 1, 2016 |
There are two reasons I liked this book. The first reason is that the language is engaging. Each poem is written in a different font. This makes reading the poems more interesting. Instead of just having a paragraph of text in the middle of every page, there are poems written in unique formats. The poem titled “The Middle’s Lament: A Poem for Three Voices” is written with three different colored speech bubbles. Each color represents either the beginning, middle, or end of the book talking. Having this unique format makes reading the poem more fun because readers can use their imagination while reading each voice. The second reason I liked this book is because of the illustrations. Each poem has corresponding illustrations that are colorful and appealing. The illustrations use various techniques, such as collages, to make the poems come to life. The poem titled “Vacation Time!” has illustrations that have newspaper print collaged into the flowers and flags on the page. Using a collage technique catches the readers’ eyes and makes the illustrations striking. The message of this story is that all parts of a book have a purpose. Many children simply flip to the first page of the story and only focus on reading the words. However, when children learn that the various components of a book, such as the cover, illustrator, and index, contribute to the book’s meaning, they can learn how these components add to the story and how to appreciate the book as a whole. ( )
  KaseyRosen | Oct 3, 2016 |
Bookspeak by Laura Purdie Salas is a fantastic read for children, or adults, of all ages. It bursts with stories about reading, books, text, and many other topics related to good, old-fashioned reading. The first poem of the book sets the stage, urging it's reader to put down the electronic devices and jump into an adventure by picking up a book. Bookspeak serves as a great reminder to us all that in a world full of technology, books should not be forgotten. ( )
  BethBaugh | Sep 1, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this collection of poems for a variety of reasons. To start, the illustrations were phenomenal. For example, the illustration for the poem “Calling All Readers” has patterned balloons that looked like they were popping off the page. The illustrations are very eye-catching and engages the reader by relating directly to the text on the page. I also really liked the unique point of view that this story was told in. A lot of the poems were written from a book’s point of view. For example, in the poem “I've Got this Covered” the book says “my picture is shouting ‘please stop! Take a look!” It catches the readers' attention and gives reader a little variation from the norm. Overall, I really enjoyed this collection of poems, and the main message its sending about how important and exciting reading can be. ( )
  mpotts1 | May 1, 2015 |

A collection of wacky, whimsical poems about books and all the treasures they contain--honored with the Minnesota Book Award; NCTE Notable; Bank Street Best Books; Librarians' Choice; Honor Book - Gelett Burgess Center for Creative Expression; White Ravens book; and Nerdy Book Award.

Laura Purdie Salas, the acclaimed author of Stampede!, is back with another collection of wild and weird, wacky and winsome poems about all the magic to be found on a single bookshelf. In BookSpeak!, each poem gives voice to a group that seldom gets a voice . . . the books themselves! Characters plead for sequels, book jackets strut their stuff, and we get a sneak peek at the raucous parties in the aisles when all the lights go out at the bookstore!Illustrator Josée Bisaillon's mixture of collage, drawings, and digital montage presents page after page of richly colored spreads filled with action and charm. Together, Salas and Bisaillon deliver a unique collection brimming with ideas as much about spines and dust jackets as they are about adventure and imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

Presents a series of poems which pay tribute to the limitless worlds available through books, as characters plead for sequels, strut fancy jackets, and have a raucous party in the aisles after a bookstore closes for the night.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible