Betty & Friends: My Life at the Zoo (2011)

by Betty White

America's sweetheart, impassioned lifelong animal welfare advocate, and bestselling author White offers intimate and funny stories about her animal friends at the zoo, enhanced by gorgeous four-color photographs. "Betty & Friends" is the passion project she has been working on for more than a decade--a love letter to zoos and to the animals in them.… (more)

Lacking written substance, still it is a wonderful book of animals and their lives in the Los Angeles Zoo. This contains many lovely photos of animals and the joy they bring.

While it isn't a page turner, it is a book to read when you are tired, or need to smile. ( )
  Whisper1 | May 23, 2018 |
I'm glad I read another review that remarked on how little actual substance this books has, or I would have been very disappointed. As it is, I'm glad I borrowed it from the library rather than purchasing it. It is an adorable book, with sweet, if brief, stories and beautiful photographs, but there just isn't much to it. It is like a little book of snapshots of some of the animals Betty White has known and loved, mostly in her work with the LA Zoo. I admire Ms. White's dedication to animals and her passionate defense of zoos, and enjoyed this book. I read it in about 20 minutes, however, and do not think it is worth the retail price of nearly $27. I'd like to see an in-depth tale of Betty White's life and work with animals but this one is not it. ( )
  glade1 | May 15, 2012 |
A light, quick read - I would probably almost call this a children's book except that it's longer (in terms of pages) than most children's books. I had no idea Betty White was so into animals and zoos. I think it's great that someone of her level is involved in this type of work, which you don't see that often.

Looking through the pictures was fun, but most of the text was fluffy. I did love how she infused a bit of humor in places. It made me grin.

It's very text-light overall. Shouldn't take more than an hour, if that, to get through. I saw Betty White on The Daily Show a couple weeks ago, talking about this book and being funny, as she is wont to do. Saw the book at the library a bit later and thought I'd check it out.

My favorite quote:

Perhaps a simpler approach would be to ask which animals I don't find fascinating, and I could honestly say, "None." The only ones I find disappointing on occasion are the two-legged type, but they are still interesting, nonetheless. ( )
  preetalina | Mar 1, 2012 |
I give this book five stars.

If any of you are animal lovers, this book is for you. The photos that accompany Betty's text are fantastic. Betty is in her element talking about the animals she loves.

The book is fast paced, funny, and sometimes poignant. Enjoy reading it on a leisurely afternoon or evening. ( )
  briandrewz | Nov 30, 2011 |
To Mary Uneda, Tad's wonderful mother.
For openers, let me say that I realize there are those whose minds are irrevocably set against the entire concept of zoos and consequently see only negatives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,177,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible