Kill Decision by Daniel Suarez

Kill Decision (2012)

by Daniel Suarez

3501931,236 (3.78)4

A terrific thriller from an author who has yet to disappoint me in any way. And as is always the case with a Suarez book, I learned some cool and geeky things as I read, and in the most entertaining of ways. I highly recommend it--and all Suarez titles--for fans of intelligent technothrillers. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
The problem isn't actually going to be drone scaling up, but down. What did the sign ' No Mundungus This Area ' mean ? ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Author: Daniel Suarez   Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars   Synopsis Somebody is using unmanned drones to attack targets in the United States and their ulterior motive remains unclear.   My Thoughts First off, there is NO A.I.! That in itself knocked a star off for me. After Suarez's Daemon duology, I was hoping for more scary super brains. Instead, we get The Hidden Powers That Be [and feel free to say that in a super SPOOKY voice] trying to make autonomous unmanned aircraft the future of war.   Only one man, deep undercover and practically rogue, along with his heroic team and one sexy ant studying lady, stand in the way.   Yeah, really, that truly sums it up. And it doesn't get any better.   Near the beginning Suarez overwhelms us with technobabble that doesn't add anything to the story except confusion. And many aspects of the story felt very klug'ed together.   On the positive side, there are lots of gun battles, action out of the whazoo and near the end, a whole BOATLOAD of killer robots, err, drones.   I'll read whatever Suarez writes next, but that is the tipping point. This just wasn't good enough.       Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Excellent thriller set in the present day, following a entomologist whose research into ant behavior is stolen for use by the mysterious makers of a drone army. We follow her and the secret military team as they track the drones and attempt to stop a move to drone warfare.
Suarez spins tech tales that sound very plausible, and he seems to grasp well the technology about which he's writing. This isn't as good as Daemon, but very few books are. ( )
  DanTarlin | Nov 19, 2016 |
Won this as a goodreads giveaway, really looking forward to reading it!
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |

Daniel Suarezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gurner, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The First Truth
Humans are more important than hardware.
From eight thousand feet the rescue workers looked like agitated ants as they scurried around the wreckage of a car bomb.

Linda McKinney is a myrmecologist, a scientist who studies the social structure of ants. Her academic career has left her entirely unprepared for the day her sophisticated research is conscripted by unknown forces to help run an unmanned—and thanks to her research, automated—drone army. Odin is the secretive Special Ops soldier with a unique insight into the faceless enemy who has begun to attack the American homeland with drones programmed to seek, identify, and execute targets without human intervention.

Together, McKinney and Odin must slow this advance long enough for the world to recognize its destructive power, because for thousands of years the “kill decision” during battle has remained in the hands of humans—and off-loading that responsibility to machines will bring unintended, possibly irreversible, consequences. But as forces even McKinney and Odin don’t understand begin to gather, and death rains down from above, it may already be too late to save humankind from destruction at the hands of our own technology.

Linda McKinney is a myrmecologist, a scientist who studies the social structure of ants. Her academic career has left her entirely unprepared for the day her sophisticated research is conscripted by unknown forces to help run an unmanned and automated drone army. Odin is the secretive Special Ops soldier with a unique insight into the faceless enemy who has begun to attack the American homeland with drones programmed to seek, identify, and execute targets without human intervention.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible