Kill Decision by Daniel Suarez

Kill Decision (2012)

by Daniel Suarez

Suarez is dedicated here to both scaring the pants off readers and sharing more data than you'd believe about the capacity of drones. The latter goal sometimes interferes with readability, but this is definitely a suspenseful, fast read once it gets going I love that a woman who supposedly researches ants in the jungle has such amazing survival skills. Funny thing is I thought I'd picked up a volume from the Gabriel Allons series by Daniel Silva. This is not nearly as well written nor does it make as much sense as Silva's books, but it's definitely great for those who like the genre. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
Amusing popcorn ( )
  kwerle | Dec 13, 2017 |
A terrific thriller from an author who has yet to disappoint me in any way. And as is always the case with a Suarez book, I learned some cool and geeky things as I read, and in the most entertaining of ways. I highly recommend it--and all Suarez titles--for fans of intelligent technothrillers. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
The problem isn't actually going to be drone scaling up, but down. What did the sign ' No Mundungus This Area ' mean ? ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Author: Daniel Suarez   Rating: 2.5 of 5 Stars   Synopsis Somebody is using unmanned drones to attack targets in the United States and their ulterior motive remains unclear.   My Thoughts First off, there is NO A.I.! That in itself knocked a star off for me. After Suarez's Daemon duology, I was hoping for more scary super brains. Instead, we get The Hidden Powers That Be [and feel free to say that in a super SPOOKY voice] trying to make autonomous unmanned aircraft the future of war.   Only one man, deep undercover and practically rogue, along with his heroic team and one sexy ant studying lady, stand in the way.   Yeah, really, that truly sums it up. And it doesn't get any better.   Near the beginning Suarez overwhelms us with technobabble that doesn't add anything to the story except confusion. And many aspects of the story felt very klug'ed together.   On the positive side, there are lots of gun battles, action out of the whazoo and near the end, a whole BOATLOAD of killer robots, err, drones.   I'll read whatever Suarez writes next, but that is the tipping point. This just wasn't good enough.       Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Daniel Suarezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gurner, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The First Truth
Humans are more important than hardware.
From eight thousand feet the rescue workers looked like agitated ants as they scurried around the wreckage of a car bomb.

Linda McKinney is a myrmecologist, a scientist who studies the social structure of ants. Her academic career has left her entirely unprepared for the day her sophisticated research is conscripted by unknown forces to help run an unmanned—and thanks to her research, automated—drone army. Odin is the secretive Special Ops soldier with a unique insight into the faceless enemy who has begun to attack the American homeland with drones programmed to seek, identify, and execute targets without human intervention.

Together, McKinney and Odin must slow this advance long enough for the world to recognize its destructive power, because for thousands of years the “kill decision” during battle has remained in the hands of humans—and off-loading that responsibility to machines will bring unintended, possibly irreversible, consequences. But as forces even McKinney and Odin don’t understand begin to gather, and death rains down from above, it may already be too late to save humankind from destruction at the hands of our own technology.

Linda McKinney is a myrmecologist, a scientist who studies the social structure of ants. Her academic career has left her entirely unprepared for the day her sophisticated research is conscripted by unknown forces to help run an unmanned and automated drone army. Odin is the secretive Special Ops soldier with a unique insight into the faceless enemy who has begun to attack the American homeland with drones programmed to seek, identify, and execute targets without human intervention.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,011,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible