The Aeneid (Penguin Classics) by Virgil

The Aeneid (Penguin Classics) (edition 2003)

by Virgil (Author), David West (Editor), David West (Translator), David West (Introduction)

19,071170171 (3.9)2 / 566
This classical epic poem tells of the Trojan warrior Aeneas. Departing from Troy after its fall, Aeneas makes a perilous journey towards modern-day Italy. In Italy, he plays a major part in the founding of Rome. As he endures the military and social challenges related to the founding of this great city, Aeneas fights not for himself, but rather for the selfless cause of founding an enduring and influential metropolis.… (more)
Member:NickMurray
Title:The Aeneid (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Virgil (Author)
Other authors:David West (Editor), David West (Translator), David West (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Edition: Revised ed., 368 pages

The Aeneid by Virgil

The Iliad by Homer (inge87, HollyMS)
    The Odyssey by Homer (inge87, caflores)
    The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: Dante, whose poetical muse was Virgil, makes himself the "hero" of this epic journey through not only Hell, but also Purgatory and Heaven -- a journey modeled to a certain extent on Aeneas's visit to the Underworld in the Aeneid. Dante's poem gives an imaginative depiction of the afterlife, which has both similarities and significant contrasts to Virgil's depiction of the pagan conception of what happens to the soul after death, and how that is related to the life that has been lived.… (more)
    The Argonautica by Apollonius of Rhodes (andejons)
    andejons: Both epics connects to the Iliad and the Odyssey, even if the Argonautica is a prequel of sorts and the Aeneid is a sequel. Also, both Jason and Aeneas as well as Medea and Dido shows similar traits.
    Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (rarm)
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques & Discoveries of the English Nation by Richard Hakluyt (KayCliff)
    Black Ships by Jo Graham (sturlington)

English (138)  Spanish (8)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Vietnamese (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (169)
Another epic poem to add to my favorites. I’ve had a copy of this book for a while now, and I’ve known Aeneas’ story for a few years. However, despite my knowledge of Aeneas’ story according to Virgil, this epic took me by surprise; I had only known the bare details in chronological order, yet Virgil actually took twists and turns to add to the story and make it interesting. I highly recommend it. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
Arma virumque cano ... to go much further than that would have been beyond my rusty Latin. Thank God for great translators like Robert Fitzgerald, a scholar immersed in the text who was himself a poet. Most of the time, I forgot I was reading a translation, it is simply great literature.
This epic is neatly divided into twelve books, and can be easily handled by reading one book a day. Of course, life sometimes gets in the way, so I had to spread one book over three mornings. Fittingly enough, it was Bk 6, when the hero in true Joseph Campbell fashion descends to the underworld.
The tale itself can be easily visualized by anyone who has seen the Lord of the Rings films.
As I was reading it, though, the theologian in me was also at work in the back of my mind. I was glad that no religion today claims this glorification of blood and gore as holy scripture, although it originated as a national epic at the time of Augustus Caesar's eminence in order to fabricate a claim that Rome's greatness was as ancient and as divinely-ordained as that of Greece. Much of what anti-religionists today deplore in the Christian Bible is here as well, in even greater quantities, and without the subversive hints embedded within the Old Testament that paved the way for a new religion to claim that Jesus, not Caesar, was Lord. Perhaps if we revised our assumptions of what scripture is, we could once again admit that the tale of David and Goliath is as thrilling in its own way as the confrontation of Aeneas and Turnus, without feeling somehow divinely authorized to wreak vengeance on anyone different from us. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
I’m not the I-hate-everyone Christian, the Othering Christian, the suspicious Christian, so I can like it, although I’m not the librarian fearlessly defending the famous people from the fools, so I don’t have to.

In my other review I talked a lot about traditional pagan chauvinism; the men lived to fight, and they thought that women were wild animals. I also referred back to Virgil in my “Things Fall Apart” review, a book largely about pagan chauvinism from another time and place. Sex doesn’t make people nice, and sexism has been around since pre-Christian antiquity.

Also many people read the ancient classics out of class loyalty/preening, but I do have a librarian inside me as well as a moralist. I can get myself to like the part about Mercury calling to say that the vacation is over. The Romans loved duty, and I think it’s hard to get through life without a sense of duty, so, there you go, a point in their favor…. And really that’s all that many people can seem to get out of the Life of Christ, is the beginning of the idea that vacations end, that it’s better to go from duty to duty than to take the radio seriously and go from unnecessary crisis to unnecessary crisis, along with a concomitant sense of overheated rejection of the bulk of people and the radio. (Duty carried poorly becomes chauvinism.) It’s only the beginning of a civilized life though, and much that troubles me in paganism remains unmoved in Christianity, deep in the almost nebulous heart of conservative presumption.

But of course life is bloody business, set to a meter. And if in this world of story and conflict, where we are so often told that the vacation is over, perhaps if we are faithful one day the call will come, that now the battle is past, and the vacation about to begin.
  goosecap | Jun 30, 2021 |
read parts for Latin class
  ritaer | May 18, 2021 |
Arms and a man I sing
Review of the Yale University Press (YUP) paperback edition (2009*) of the YUP hardcover (2008) translated from the Latin language original Aenēis (19 BCE)

I very much enjoyed the readability and the plain modern day language of Sarah Ruden's recent translation of The Gospels (2021). That was enough for me to want to explore several of her other translation works of which I have now located several via the library. This earlier 2008 Aenied translation has now been supplanted by a expanded and updated 2021 edition which I have yet to source.

While the 2008 translation is certainly readable and in plain language, it is drastically short on additional explanatory material. Ruden does have the great feature of being a line by line equivalent to the original, whereas other translators tend to run on at length. Ruden is free verse though, and certainly can't supplant Dryden's rhymed version. Ruden's Translator's Preface is quite brief at less than 5 pages and the Glossary is only 12 pages. That may sound like plenty, but every time I looked someone up, they weren't listed, as it is "... only the most important characters and places". My only convenient comparison is my own copy of the Robert Fitzgerald 1983 translation with a 15 page Postscript and a 24 page Glossary which definitely is more informative and complete. Ruden's 2021 edition will hopefully expand on those areas.

In terms of the shock value of any 21st century modernisms used by Ruden, I was really only struck by the Tuscan Arruns' vow to kill the amazon Voscian leader Camilla, who had been triumphing over the Trojans and their allies:
"... I want no arms, no trophy -
No spoils at all. I'll get my glory elsewhere.
If I can strike this bitch down, I'll return
Gladly obscure to the cities of my homeland."
- The Aenied, Book 11 Lines 790-793 Ruden (2008)Compare Dryden and Fitzgerald: "Nor spoils, nor triumph, from the fact I claim,
But with my future actions trust my fame.
Let me, by stealth, this female plague o’ercome,
And from the field return inglorious home."
- The Aenied, Book 11 Lines ?? Dryden (1697) "... I want no spoils,
No trophy of a beaten girl. My actions
Elsewhere will bring me honour. May this dire
Scourge of battle perish, when hit by me.
Then to the cities of my ancestors
With no pretence of glory I'll return."
- The Aenied, Book 11 Lines 1077-1082 Fitzgerald (1983)Overall this is a [4], but more because of the lack of extra material. If you are ok with looking all of that up online yourself, then no problem. I'm going to hold onto a possible future [5] rating for when I am able to source Ruden's 2021 revision.

Trivia and Links
Yale University Press have recently released a revised and expanded edition of the Sarah Ruden translation as The Aeneid (Feb. 9, 2021).

Sarah Ruden recommends the Five Best Books on Virgil at Five Books. Note that she includes Robert Fitzgerald's translation in its 1992 Everyman's Library edition.

You can read the John Dryden (1697) translation at Project Gutenberg.

You can read the original Latin text of The Aeneid (and other works by Virgil) online at The Latin Library. ( )
  alanteder | Apr 18, 2021 |

Sisson, C. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ungaretti, GiuseppeForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaňorný, OtmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vivaldi, CesareTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vondel, J. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vretska, KarlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Aeternum dictis da diva leporem.
DE RERUM NATURA
For Penny
Wars and man I sing—an exile driven on by Fate, he was the first to flee the coast of Troy, destined to reach Lavinian shores and Italian soil, yet many blows he took on land and sea from the gods above—thanks to cruel Juno's relentless rage—and many losses he bore in battle too, beofe he could found a city, bring his gods to Latium, source of the Latin race, the Alban lords and the high walls of Rome.
The Aeneid in translation.

A man leaves his home
and wanders with his people
and finds a new home.
(marcusbrutus)
Long search for new home
Old one ru'ned by Greek Gift Horse
Future lies with wolves
(pickupsticks)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140440518, 0140449329, 0140455388, 0143105132, 0143106295

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300119046, 0300151411

Indiana University Press

An edition of this book was published by Indiana University Press.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,500,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible