Seraphina

by Rachel Hartman

Series: Southlands (1), Seraphina (1)

3,4282453,247 (4.1)1 / 211
In a world where dragons and humans coexist in an uneasy truce and dragons can assume human form, Seraphina, whose mother died giving birth to her, grapples with her own identity amid magical secrets and royal scandals, while she struggles to accept and develop her extraordinary musical talents.
    Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor (tim_halpin)
    tim_halpin: Teenage angst mixed with angst about demon souls. Similar strong female teenage protagonists.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (sboyte)
    sboyte: Strong female lead with unique abilities. Fantasy realm. Well-developed love story. Unputdownable.
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (beyondthefourthwall)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith (beyondthefourthwall)
    The Shape-Changer's Wife by Sharon Shinn (beyondthefourthwall)
    Fairest by Gail Carson Levine (Heather39)
    Heather39: In both books, a musically talented young woman begins work at the palace, where she befriends a prince and ends up in unexpected trouble.
    A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Draaaagons. Plus the pursuit of knowledge, the non-traditional (although in different ways) main character, and more.
    Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood by Meredith Ann Pierce (beyondthefourthwall)

English (242)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (243)
Seraphina is a very interesting character. She reminds me a lot of the characters that I heard about at all the Diverse Books panels I attended during Book Con. As a half-dragon, half-human, she has many difficulties that she must deal with and overcome, as well as secrets society pressures her to hide, something that I’m sure many young women and men can relate to.

I think Rachel Hartman and I could have lots of awesome conversations about music, dragons, and just growing up in general. A lot of what Seraphina must deal with runs true to the challenges of most young people’s lives and the awesome thing about her story is that, even though things go terribly wrong, she has a strong and supportive group of family and friends to back her up and stand by her.

One of the best parts about writing fantasy is that you can write about so many themes that can seem untouchable or insurmountable in realistic fiction. Seraphina’s story would be heartbreaking in the modern world. In the context of Goredd, her home country, she’s not supposed to be able to exist – I can’t imagine reading a story about a child whose very existence is supposedly impossible and if that child did exist, multiple factions would actively try to kill her. It’s so much easier to make dragons the bad guys, it’s plausible and believable, and it’s what fairy tales have led us to believe for quite some time.

But it’s the humans of Goredd who are much harsher on Seraphina, it is the humans who fear different people and fear change. This is true in the real world as well, but seems much less critical through the lens of a fantasy world. Fantasy is one of the perfect genres for social commentary and anyone who misses it in Seraphina is in denial. Seraphina’s story is a great one and an enjoyable tale of dragons and fantasy as well. ( )
  smorton11 | Oct 29, 2022 |
I'm not above giving up on a book, and I did finally, about halfway through this one. While the dragon characters are indeed fascinating, as the book jacket will tell you, I couldn't get past the level of gender and hetero norminess in this one. Once the (femme) protagonist gets catcalled a few times and takes it as flattery, and then seems to be falling for a prince, I'm pretty much over it. Sorry! ( )
  emmy_of_spines | Sep 8, 2022 |
I don't usually like to write book reviews, but this book was so stunning and beautifully written that I have to reccomend it. I eagerly wait the next installament. ( )
  cmcall | Jun 21, 2022 |
I liked the final 150 pages. The first 250 were a bit slow for me. But with that being said, I loved the character Seraphina. She is complicated and talented and grouchy for a young person. I enjoyed the description of her garden of grotesques and thought that very original. I enjoyed the truly new dragon story; it has been a long time since I could say that. I trust there will be more books as Seraphina continues her search. I would read another, happily, now that we have a firm background of characters in the first half of the book. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
New take on the dragon fantasy. Well-realized world, great characters. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |

Rachel Hartmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolesova, JulianaIllustrator (Title Page)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palisi, HeatherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, MandyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

In memoriam: Michael McMechan.
Dragon, teacher, friend.
I remember being born.
I usually practiced smiling while I slathered my scales with goo, figuring that if I could smile through that, I could smile through anything. Today I really didn't have the time.
We were all monsters and bastards. And we were all beautiful.
(page 90)

"My faith should not come easily;
There is no Heaven without pain.
My days should never flutter past
Unnoted, nor my past remain
Beyond its span of usefulness;
Le me not hold to grief.
My hope, my light, my Saint is love;
In love my one belief."
(page 142-143)

The vagabond sun winks down through the trees,
While lilacs, like memories, waft on the breeze,
My friend, I was born for soft days such as these,
To inhale perfume,
And cut through the gloom,
And feast like a king upon peaches and cheese!
I'll travel this wide world and go where I please,
Can't stop my wandering, it's like a disease.
My only regret as I cross the high seas;
what I leave behind,
Though I hope to find,
My own golden city of peaches and cheese!
(page 144)

I'll ask my true love, and I'll hope she agrees,
How could she not, when I'm down on my knees?
My Jill, say you will, and don't be such a tease.
When it's time to eat,
I say sweets to the sweet,
My love, let your answer be peaches and cheese!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,425,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible