Tales Our Abuelitas Told: A Hispanic Folktale Collection

by F. Isabel Campoy, Alma Flor Ada

Other authors: Felipe Dávalos (Illustrator), Vivi Escriva (Illustrator), Susan Guevara (Illustrator), Leyla Torres (Illustrator)

Presents the authors' retellings of more than ten traditional tales accompanied by information on origins and different versions.

The tales in this book are great and they are filled with great moral folktales. I think each of the stories were short and sweet. From the stories that I did have a chance to read, they held a great moral message. ( )
  cmmeza0709 | Mar 7, 2024 |
I greatly enjoyed this book because many of its tales were completely new to me, while some were familiar but with cultural differences from stories I'd heard previously. The forward was an enjoyable read about the importance of traditional literature, and the illustrations were pleasant and fitting.
  taraellis | Mar 11, 2016 |
This book is a great example of different types of literature that bring alive the folktales and legends that are prevalent in Hispanic culture. There are both stories and short stories and poetry in this book, which is a nice variety for middle readers.
  rwild13 | Feb 16, 2016 |
Short Summary: A collection of hispanic folktales with themes that many of us are familuar with (like happily ever after and once upon a time... but the spanish version)

personal reflection: This would be great to share to teach about foiktales and.or cultures. They are stories that are very relatable and still hold a sense of tradition from an unfamiliar culture.
  hkent32 | Jun 9, 2013 |
This book is a good example of folktales because it is pasted down from generation to generation in the Hispanic culture.
Theme: Teaches lessons

Escriva, ViviIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guevara, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Torres, LeylaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,432,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible