Inside This Place, Not of It: Narratives from Women's Prisons (Voice…

by Ayelet Waldman

"Inside this place, not of it reveals some of the most egregious human rights violations within women's prisons in the United States. In their own words, the thirteen narrators in this book recount their lives leading up to incarceration and their experiences inside--ranging from forced sterilization and shackling during childbirth, to physical and sexual abuse by prison staff. Together, their testimonies illustrate the harrowing struggles for survival that women in prison must endure"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Heavy material, but a good and important read. Humanizing, though it felt better to me when the narratives were read one at a time apart from the others. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
Winner of The National Council on Crime and Delinquency's PASS Award for Literature.
Amazon Reviews:
"Inside This Place, Not Of It is precisely the kind of book we need now. In reading these narratives—so skillfully assembled, and with the accompanying statistics and data which let readers see how America and its states are complicit in taking away lives and dignity from so many women—what stands out is the poignant sense of abandonment and sadness that changed their lives from childhood, and the astonishing strength and perseverance that let them survive in prison. I will never forget these women, or this book." —Susan Straight, author of Take One Candle Light A Room

"These stories are a gift. The women in this book compel us to imagine how their lives would be different—how we would be different—if we responded to their experience with genuine care, compassion, and concern.”
—from the foreword by Michelle Alexander, author of The New Jim Crow ( )
  WayCriminalJustice | Apr 4, 2016 |
As you can probably guess about any book with stories from people in women's prisons, this book can be an emotionally difficult read. There are stories of sexual assault, child abuse, neglectful parents...But there are also stories of resilience, hope and resistance.

My full review is here: http://www.truth-out.org/oral-history-collection-gives-voice-incarcerated-women/... ( )
  VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,249,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible