Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings (2002)

by Christopher Moore

Just why do humpback whales sing? That's the question that has marine biologist Nate Quinn and his crew poking, charting, recording and photographing very big, wet, gray marine mammals. That is, until the extraordinary day when a whale lifts its tail into the air to display a cryptic message spelled out in foot-high letters: BITE ME. Trouble is, Nate's beginning to wonder if he hasn't spent just a little too much time in the sun. 'Cause no one else saw a thing- not his longtime partner, Clay Demodocus; not their saucy young research assistant; not even the spliff-puffing white-boy Rastaman Kona (ne Preston Applebaum). But later, when a roll of film returns from the lab missing the crucial tail shot- and his research facility is trashed- Nate realizes something very fishy indeed is going on.… (more)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (greendragongirl, LunarEclipse)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (mysterymax)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (meggyweg)
    The Prince of Whales by R. L. Fisher (MyriadBooks)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (sturlington)
    Schrödinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (GirlMisanthrope)
    Further Complications by Bryn Schurman (JessyHere)
    JessyHere: Similar wacky characters.
    Escape from Heaven by J. Neil Schulman (infiniteletters)
    Waiting for the Galactic Bus by Parke Godwin (infiniteletters)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Iralell)
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (afyfe)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (quilted_kat)
    Deep Wizardry by Diane Duane (MyriadBooks)
    Vampire Taxonomy: Identifying and Interacting with the Modern-Day Bloodsucker by Meredith Woerner (meggyweg)
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore (meggyweg)
    Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips (Staramber)
    Staramber: A little less surreal and a bit more sweet but the same pace and sense of the absurd.
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (infiniteletters)

"Fluke" by Christopher Moore was part "Lost Horizon" and part Carl Hiaasen. But, it was about whales. I was treated to whalesong between chapters because I listened to the book. I did trip the light fantastic because it came from the mind of Christopher Moore, and it was delightful. I highly recommend this book to lighten your mood. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Okay, yes, it's probably not as good, not as funny, not as enticing as other of his novels. But I love his style, okay?? And moreover, I think the plot was really fun, really inventive, really original, and I'm really, really into it. Not in a "i need more right now immediately" kind of way, because I think it ended nicely. But in a "that was amazing and I'm glad I now know of this universe" kind of sense.

I love Christopher Moore. I love him. Fight me. ( )
  ssuprnova | Nov 3, 2021 |
The beginning was fun and fairly typical of Moore. The end was just dumb. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
Very slow to start. Very much fantasy about whales. Interesting ending. ( )
  mm691984 | Feb 11, 2021 |
My first Christopher Moore book. I've heard great things about his other books. Unfortunately, I thought this book was rather silly and didn't care much for it. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Fluke (flook) 1. A stroke of good luck
2. A chance occurrence; an accident
3. A barb or barbed head, as on a harpoon
4. Either of the two horizontally flattened divisions of the tail of a whale
For Jim Darling, Flip Nicklin, and Meagan Jones: extraordinary people who do extraordinary work.
Amy called the whale punkin.
"The science you don't know looks like magic," Kona says in Chapter 30. (Author's Notes)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,688,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible