Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings…

Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings (2003)

by Christopher Moore

Just why do humpback whales sing? That's the question that has marine behavioral biologist Nate Quinn and his crew poking, charting, recording, and photographing very big, wet, gray marine mammals. Until the extraordinary day when a whale lifts its tail into the air to display a cryptic message spelled out in foot-high letters: Bite me. Trouble is, Nate's beginning to wonder if he hasn't spent just a little too much time in the sun. 'Cause no one else on his team saw a thing, not his longtime partner, Clay Demodocus; not their saucy young research assistant; not even the spliff-puffing white-boy Rastaman Kona (ne Preston Applebaum). But later, when a roll of film returns from the lab missing the crucial tail shot, and his research facility is trashed, Nate realizes something very fishy indeed is going on. By turns witty, irreverent, fascinating, puzzling, and surprising, Fluke is Christopher Moore at his outrageous best.… (more)
Recently added bykristibird, gpittfield, private library, SomethingIshy, NafizaMaruzeh, christopherl87, jmfenn
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (greendragongirl, LunarEclipse)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (mysterymax)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (meggyweg)
    The Prince of Whales by R. L. Fisher (MyriadBooks)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (sturlington)
    Schrödinger's Ball by Adam Felber (fyrefly98)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (GirlMisanthrope)
    Further Complications by Bryn Schurman (JessyHere)
    JessyHere: Similar wacky characters.
    Escape from Heaven by J. Neil Schulman (infiniteletters)
    Waiting for the Galactic Bus by Parke Godwin (infiniteletters)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Iralell)
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (afyfe)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (quilted_kat)
    Deep Wizardry by Diane Duane (MyriadBooks)
    Vampire Taxonomy: Identifying and Interacting with the Modern-Day Bloodsucker by Meredith Woerner (meggyweg)
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore (meggyweg)
    Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips (Staramber)
    Staramber: A little less surreal and a bit more sweet but the same pace and sense of the absurd.
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (infiniteletters)

Fluke starts out as the story of whale researchers in Hawaii studying humpback whale songs. One day, Nate (the lead researcher on the team) notices something strange about one of the whales and the story takes a major turn to the fantasy/science fiction genres. I enjoyed reading this story. I enjoyed the humorous look at the research community and although the story went a little "out there" I found the scientific explanation for the fantasy elements interesting to think about. The humor at times reminded me of my teenage son's sense of humor, but it fit the mentality of the characters. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 11, 2019 |
Just finished Fluke by Christopher Moore. I do love this author! His plots are highly improbably, yet they work for me and he has such a great sense of humor. This one follows a marine behavioral biologist and his photographer as they try to decipher songs of the whales. Except that then one of the whales flashes our heel a note on the back of his tail, which reads "Bite Me." And things get weirder from there. There's a little romance, a funny Rasta boy, some cool marine info and lots of fun. Great summer read. ( )
  Berly | May 26, 2019 |
After trying Moore's Sacre Bleu many years back, and having it not work for me, I avoided starting anymore of his books. That was clearly a mistake that I am happy to have rectified. This is now the third book of Moore's that I've loved. This was fun and I love his smart ass sense of humour. I will keep going with Moore's novels. I've been loving them on audio and I think I will keep with this format. ( )
  ChelleBearss | May 5, 2018 |
I have read a lot of Christopher Moore and get the humor and far fetched premise of his books . . . but this one - no thanks. i just could not get into the concept and had a hard time finishing this one. I guess I just didn't get it. ( )
  sbenne3 | Nov 27, 2017 |
Christopher Moore, audio book, long car trip, husband laughing out loud as he drives, oh, and whales-- what's not to like? ( )
  bookczuk | Oct 11, 2017 |
Fluke (flook) 1. A stroke of good luck
2. A chance occurrence; an accident
3. A barb or barbed head, as on a harpoon
4. Either of the two horizontally flattened divisions of the tail of a whale
For Jim Darling, Flip Nicklin, and Meagan Jones: extraordinary people who do extraordinary work.
Amy called the whale punkin.
"The science you don't know looks like magic," Kona says in Chapter 30. (Author's Notes)

Nathan Quinn, a marine biologist, goes out on a routine day-trip expedition to survey whales in the area. When he photographs one of the whale's flukes, he notices that the words "BITE ME" are spelled out in huge letters on the mammal's tail-fin. His curiosity and investigations uncover one mystery after another as he seeks the answers considering the source of this peculiarity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,794,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible