Summerland: A Novel by Elin Hilderbrand

Summerland: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Elin Hilderbrand

After a fatal car crash during a summer celebration on Nantucket island, four teenagers question if the roots of the accident lie further in the past than they seem; is true healing possible, in even these most devastating circumstance; and, can true friendship ever really die?
Member:bjohnson09
Title:Summerland: A Novel
Authors:Elin Hilderbrand
Info:Reagan Arthur / Little, Brown (2013), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages

Work Information

Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand

Elin Hilderbrand's latest book highlights the aftermath of a tragic teenage accident and how it rocks the small Island Community. Twins Hobby and Penny seem to have the world at there feet but that changes instantly when Penny is killed in a tragic accident where she was driving. The other two friends in the accident, Jake, Penny's boyfriend and outsider Demeter also struggle with trying to figure out and come to grips with what happened and Why. The parents also share the narrative in this inside look at life, love and tragedy.

This will not go down as one of my favorite EH books. While I enjoyed the story, it seemed a little choppy with so many narrators and none of them stood out( well maybe Demeter's). The big secret seemed to be downplayed in the end and wasn't much of a secret and I feel like the ending was a little short.

Overall, a good read- a solid 3- 3.5. Not as beachy or summery as many of EH's other books ( which is why it took me so long to read it. I started it and realized this was not what I wanted to be reading on the beach). ( )
  sunshine608 | Feb 2, 2021 |
The characters are so beautifully and realistically drawn that you cannot help but get caught up in their compelling story of friendship, love, loss and new beginnings. To read my review in its entirety, please visit http://www.bookreviewsandmorebykathy.com/2012/07/19/summerland/ ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
It's high school graduation on Nantucket. But this usual time of celebration turns to tragedy when--on graduation night--a terrible car crashes kills one local student, Penny Alistair, and leaves her twin brother, Hobson, in a coma. Penny's boyfriend, Jake, and her friend, Demeter, are not hurt, at least physically. But the crash shakes the island and leaves everyone wondering exactly what happened. Why was Penny driving Jake's Jeep that night? What caused her to drive so quickly and recklessly?

I enjoy every Elin Hilderbrand book I read, and I liked this one, though it wasn't one of my all-time favorites. I didn't find myself greatly attached to any one character, or really pulled deeply into the plot. Honestly, while many of Hilderbrand's books have a dark or sad side, this one was really depressing at times, even though there was a layer of hope as well. It hit very close to home, as I am a mother of twins, so maybe that was part of it. I was a little heartbroken, and my heart went out to Zoe, the mother of Penny and Alistair.

As with all Hilderbrand books, the story is interesting, and she weaves a detailed and intricate tale of island life. There's more than just an accident, with intersecting webs of characters. I liked the parallels and ties between the high school children and their parents. It was an engaging story, with a lot of serious subjects.

I'm glad I read this one, but if you're just starting out with Hilderbrand, there are other books I'd recommend first. 3 stars.

I received my copy of this book through one of my favorite websites, Paperbackswap.com, where you can swap copies of all your favorite books (hardcover, paperback, and more).

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb ( )
  justacatandabook | Dec 4, 2019 |
Sumerland is Nantucket. The characters are three local families with teenagers of the same age. School is over for the summer and graduation parties are taking place to officially bid farewell to the graduating seniors. A beach party becomes the focal point for an accident which drastically changes the lives of all three families leaving one child dead, one physically injured and the others and their families emotionally traumatized. Family and community band together to help in the healing process and the reader benefits from an upbeat ending in spite of the tragic beginning to the story. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
I could not resist reading a novel set on Nantucket while vacationing on Nantucket. That the novel was released while there and the author did a signing at the local bookstore? Even better. An easy read, made more interesting by reading it where the action of the book takes place, but would be a good beach read no matter where you vacation. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,779,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible