Somewhere Beneath Those Waves by Sarah…

Somewhere Beneath Those Waves (2011)

by Sarah Monette

I've never been much for short stories, but as Sarah Monette has become one of my favourite authors over the years, I couldn't resist delving into this collection of her shorter works. Each story, whatever its length, seems carefully crafted; each word chosen with the meticulousness and attention to detail evident in her novels. I won't say that I liked every story; there were some that I just couldn't get into, but overall I enjoyed reading this. It was a nice mix of dark fantasy (both urban and faery), sci-fi (I'll never think of museums in the same way), and horror (dark and stilted and claustrophobic). And there's something for everyone: occult buddy-cops and selkies and ugly mediums and soldiers and gender-bending French spies and lesbian lovers of the Queen of Faery and downtrodden maids and suicidal musicians. There are some unforgettable characters and engaging worlds here, and the stories provide just a teasing glimpse of them. ( )
  semjaza | Nov 6, 2015 |
It's no secret that I adore Sarah Monette. These stories just gave me more reasons - the ones I hadn't read and the ones I already had. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
Monette’s second short story collection (after The Bone Key,2007) is lyrical and evocative. Where the earlier collection was tightly focused around the experiences of one character (Kyle Murchison Booth, who also makes an appearance in one story here), Somewhere Beneath Those Waves is far-reaching and diverse. Monette’s protagonists face magic and despair, hope and everyday life with equally compelling results. Stand-outs in the collection include the title story, in which a selkie and a human woman both find themselves trapped on land; Katabasis: Seraphic Trains, in which a naïve young woman uses a magical gift to save a man who does not deserve her love; and Three Letters from the Queen of Elfland, about the perils of loving the fairy queen. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote kmaziarz | Jun 23, 2012 |
A collection of absolute treasure. I usually do not get so engrossed in short story collections as I would a novel, but this book made me anxious to see what was next.

25 stories are contained herein. My favorites:

Somewhere Beneath Those Waves: the story of a woman and the selkie who is having an affair with her boyfriend. They join forces to retrieve the selkie's skin. Atmospheric, deliciously creepy.

Amante Dorree: an alternate history where France occupies the South. A transgendered spy walks amongst all worlds and attends to a romance of her own. Intrigue, beauty, and twists.

Seraphic Trains: a woman waits for a magical train to take her to her dead lover. Abounds with gorgeous prose.

The Seance at Chisholm End: A genuine medium brings over a nasty spirit, exposing the dirty laundry of the lady of the house and endangering all. Would love to see this one as a full novel.

Monette creates one fantastical world after the next and they are each so unique. And she indeed "writes like a dream". Her character descriptions make you feel that you are standing in front of them. Her place descriptions are lush or creepy and you feel it.

I heartily recommend this book and it is joining my Monette collection. ( )
  GirlMisanthrope | May 3, 2012 |
Normally, a book recommended by Elizabeth Bear and Charlene
Harris wouldn't catch my eye, but the title sucked me, and I am exceedingly glad it did. The short stories are of varying lengths and in a variety of styles, but all capture a sort of eerie brilliance, and characters I was sad I didn't get to follow any further.
  omnia_mutantur | Apr 25, 2012 |
Somewhere Beneath Those Waves is one of the better collections of this year, and I would recommend it to fans of speculative fiction that like intertextual, thematically crunchy, and entertaining stories.
added by nsblumenfeld | editTor.com, Brit Mandelo (Nov 23, 2011)
Though the tales vary in theme and tone, there is not a weak note in the collection, and both fans and new readers will be drawn into Monette’s strange and imaginative worlds.
added by nsblumenfeld | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 7, 2011)

"Monette's diverse collection delves deeply into the mythic and reaches far beyond everyday reality. Readers cannot resist journeying with her into realms--dangerously dark or illuminatingly revelatory--they could never imagine without her as their guide. From ghost stories in the tradition of M.R. James to darkly poetic tales to moving fictional examinations of the most basic of human emotion--fear, love, hate, loneliness--Monette's pen produces stories that are invariably unforgettable."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Sarah Monette is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible