Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly…

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (edition 2012)

by Jenny Lawson (Author)

Member:ChelseaRSmith
Title:Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Authors:Jenny Lawson (Author)
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Non-Fiction
Rating:***1/2

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Recently added bymmannie7, lorr1322, Iloveblue11, private library, ekovnat, cfulton20, jillnienhiser, chelseayosten

English (274)  Piratical (1)  All languages (275)
I'm not a subscriber to Jenny Lawson's blog (The Blogess), though I don't really know WHY I'm not. Anyway, when her memoir, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, was first released last year I thought it might be something I'd like to read. I visited her blog, read about twenty posts, put the book on my wishlist and then forgot about it (as happens all too frequently with me). However, the paperback is coming out this month, and when a nice person at Berkley Books offered me a copy to review-- I jumped at it!

Wouldn't you? I mean, Jenny Lawson is FUNNY. I don't think I've laughed this much while reading a book since the first time I read one of David Sedaris's books. It actually does remind me a lot of David Sedaris's stories, this book, but less...stylized? Or maybe MORE FRIENDLY is what I mean. ( )
  doctorsidrat | Dec 9, 2018 |
This book as a refreshing light read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
This book as a refreshing light read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
This was not as hilarious as Furiously Happy, but I enjoyed it. Jenny Lawson is certified nuts, and her brain takes her down on crazy, hilarious and awesomely imaginative paths. She also has her share of crazy events, many involving her father, the practical joker taxidermist. She obsesses over small things to the point of hilarity and exhaustion. I laughed, was amazed, sometimes sniffled, and often rolled my eyes along with Victor, who I am now convinced is a full saint. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I want to thank everyone who helped me create this book, except for that guy who yelled at me in Kmart when I was eight because he thought I was being "too rowdy." You're an asshole, sir.
This book is a love letter to my family. It's about the surprising discovery that the most terribly human moments—the ones we want to pretend never happened—are the very same moments that make us who we are today. I've reserved the very best stories of my life for this book... to celebrate the strange, and to give thanks for the bizarre. Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing—rather than running screaming from—the utter absurdity of life. I thank my family for teaching me that lesson. In spades.
Introduction
This book is totally true, except for the parts that aren't.
Call me Ishmael.

In an illustrated memoir, the creator of the Bloggess blog shares humorous stories from her life, including her awkward upbringing in Texas and her relationship with her husband.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Lawson's book Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,827,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible