Harcourt School Publishers Collections:…

Harcourt School Publishers Collections: Rd/Chc Bk: Skylark Gr4 SKYLARK (original 1994; edition 2001)

by Harcourt School Publishers (Author)

When a drought tests the commitment of a mail-order bride from Maine to her new home on the prairie, her stepchildren hope they will be able to remain a family.
Member:trinityjade
Title:Harcourt School Publishers Collections: Rd/Chc Bk: Skylark Gr4 SKYLARK
Authors:Harcourt School Publishers (Author)
Info:HARCOURT SCHOOL PUBLISHERS (2001), Edition: 1, 96 pages

Work Information

Skylark by Patricia MacLachlan (1994)

very good - Katrina
  hcs_admin | Sep 20, 2022 |
Houghton Mifflin Invitations to Literature
  kwong3 | Jul 25, 2022 |
Their father and Sarah have married, but Anna and Caleb still find life difficult on the plains when a drought threatens their farm and neighbors start moving away when the wells run dry.

Rereading the first two books in this series as an adult has been delightful. I wonder if MacLachlan's spare style and way of sketching a story in broad strokes and leaving the reader's imagination to fill in the details impacted what I look for in a story now. I remembered most of what happened in [Skylark], but it was surprising to me to realize that the part that I remembered most (when Sarah and the kids traveled to Maine) was actually a small percentage of the whole story. Now I'm wondering how much of my memories are affected by the movie, which I want to go back and revisit as well. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 21, 2022 |
Very startling ending. I was reading along and suddenly there was no page to turn. Not very satisfying. Otherwise nice story. Similar to Sarah, Plain and Tall. I wonder if the series will have a satisfactory conclusion? ( )
  njcur | May 28, 2022 |
This is a sweet follow up to the first book. The books are so short, focusing on just a snapshot of time in the family’s life, but yet they include so much.

Anna and her family are troubled by the drought, and she knows that Sarah doesn’t love the plains like she loves the seashore, and so she is worried. She’s worried about her dad, the farm, Sarah, and what might happen if it doesn’t rain. She sees conflict between her dad and her new mom, and has to come to grips with the world as it really is. She’s surrounded by love and is well cared for, and has the wonderful opportunity to visit Sarah’s Maine home, but her dad and the farm is always in the back of her mind.

This book would provide an interesting jumping off point for a conversation with my kids about how much certainty existed in life during this time, how patient they had to be waiting for word from dad, how scarcity of water could change your whole life over the course of a few months, the idea that a dry well meant your family had to move, how Anna had no idea where she was going to school at the end of the summer, all things that could provide an interesting new perspective on the world. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
This is for Emily MacLachlan--
with admiration
with love
Papa married Sarah on a summer day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,427,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible