The Sumerton Women by D.L. Bogdan

The Sumerton Women (edition 2012)

by D.L. Bogdan

30None364,212 (3.92)None
Member:vgrimli
Title:The Sumerton Women
Authors:D.L. Bogdan
Info:Kensington (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Sumerton Women by D.L. Bogdan

An easy, entertaining read that kept my attention. The historical aspect is well done, and the drama is properly angsty. All in all, a nice book. ( )
  moppety | Oct 24, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this book. It held my attention and I found myself not wanting to put it down. I was in tears by the end. I don't usually read historical novels, but this was kept my attention and taught me a great deal about the time of Henry the VIII. There were surprising turns in the storeyline that I never expected. I highly recommend it. ( )
  toades | Aug 11, 2012 |
I enjoyed this book. I don't read historical fiction that much, but I really liked this book. I felt that the author did a good job getting the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of the characters across to the reader. If you like history then I suggest that you read this book. ( )
  DeeDee10 | Jun 23, 2012 |
There is enough romantic entanglements, betrayals of trust, and edge-of-the-seat tragedies in this book to please any historical romance fan, but this book is also so much more. The characters are complex, not stereotypical by any means. I love the time period of the Tudors, it has always been a favorite era of mine. What I particularly like is the historical background as to how all the changes Henry the VIII made both political and religious, affected this family. I think adding this perspective to the novel, helped to make this novel a cut above the typical romance novel. All-in-all a great read. ( )
  calicocat901 | Jun 14, 2012 |
Historical romance that's an enjoyable read. It's easy to pick your favorite characters and they'll be your favorite til the end. It has everything that a romance needs-love and tragedy. ( )
  mlgml1 | Jun 2, 2012 |

Orphaned at age eight, Lady Cecily Burkhart becomes the ward of Harold Pierce, Earl of Sumerton. The charming Lord Hal and his wife, Lady Grace, immediately welcome sweet-natured Cecily as one of their own. With Brey, their young son, Cecily develops an easy, playful friendship. But their intensely devout daughter, Mirabella, is consumed by her religious vocation--and by her devotion to Father Alec Cahill, the family priest and tutor.With Father Alec as her closest confidant, Cecily begins to glimpse the painful secrets at the heart of the Pierce family. When tragedy strikes at home, and Henry VIII's obsession with Anne Boleyn leads to violent upheaval across England, Mirabella is robbed of her calling and the future Cecily dreamed of is ripped away in turn. As Cecily struggles to hold together the fractured household, she and Alec also grapple with a dangerous mutual attraction. Plagued with jealousy, Mirabella unleashes a tumultuous chain of events that threatens to destroy everyone around her. For with treachery and suspicion rampant, desire has the power to shatter a family--and tear a kingdom apart. . .A story of love and redemption, beautifully told. --Christy English, author of To Be QueenPraise for Secrets of the Tudor CourtA beautifully written story with wonderful attention to detail. I loved the book. --Diane Haeger, author of The Queen's MistakeThrobs with intensity as it lays bare the secret delights of Tudor court life and the sudden, lethal terrors. A tale of innocence and ruthless ambition locked in a love-hate embrace. --Barbara Kyle, author of The King's Daughter… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible