Charles Hodge: The Pride of Princeton (American Reformed Biographies)

by W. Andrew Hoffecker

"Charles Hodge (1797-1878) is regarded by many as the most significant American theologian of the nineteenth century. He drove forward the rapid growth of theological education and contributed to Presbyterianism's wide-ranging influence in public life. His advocacy of a Reformed orthodoxy combined with evangelical piety attracted a broad following within Old School Presbyterianism that spilled over into American evangelicalism as a whole. Hodge helped to define a distinctive ministerial model£the pastor-scholar and his fingerprints can be seen all over the Reformed Christian scene of today" -- Publisher description.… (more)

Charles Hodge (1797-1878) is regarded by many as the most significant American theologian of the nineteenth century. He drove forward the rapid growth of theological education and contributed to Presbyterianism’s wide-ranging influence in public life. His advocacy of a Reformed orthodoxy combined with evangelical piety attracted a broad following within Old School Presbyterianism that spilled over into American evangelicalism as a whole. Hodge helped to define a distinctive ministerial model—the pastor-scholar—and his fingerprints can be observed all over the Reformed Christian scene today.
  Paul_Brunning | Apr 26, 2016 |
This is an outstanding biography of one of the outstanding men of the church. I'll admit that I knew little of Hodge before reading this but he was very much the man of his time for the church, and also the kind of man we need today, i.e. someone with a strong sense of biblical discernment and committed to faith as outlined in the Westminster standards. In the early 21st century we face a number of the same challenges, some with the very same names as in Hodges' day and in reading his story I am encouraged that by adherence to a strong Reformed confession, either Westminster or the Three Standards of Unity, the church today can bear faithful witness to a world that so desperately needs to hear and believe the Good News of Christ. ( )
  BradKautz | Apr 1, 2016 |
Charles Hodge
W. Andrew Hoffecker

Book Description: Charles Hodge (1797-1878) is regarded by many as the most significant American theologian of the nineteenth century. He drove forward the rapid growth of theological education and contributed to Presbyterianism's wide-ranging influence in public life. His advocacy of a Reformed orthodoxy combined with evangelical piety attracted a broad following within Old School Presbyterianism that spilled over into American evangelicalism as a whole. Hodge helped to define a distinctive ministerial model-the pastor-scholar-and his fingerprints can be seen all over the Reformed Christian scene of today.
Review: This was a biography on Charles Hodge and his ministry. This is a great series to learn about those who have gone before. We live in a world where these biographies become more important to have an example of Godliness before us due to people moving, changes in the church and the breakdown of the family even in the church. Never before have more people been only been to church on Christmas Eve and Easter when they come to Christ it is through the lives of believers that we can glean the lives we wish to reflect upon for encouragement and example. Charles Hodge had a very dynamic life and his childhood was a model for our culture today to reflect on. It is important to have Godly role models for us to learn from.
I would like to thank Net Galley and P & R Publishing for allowing me to read and review his book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Jul 26, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,744,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible