Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett

Extra Yarn (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mac Barnett (Author), Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

With a supply of yarn that never runs out, Annabelle knits for everyone and everything in town until an evil archduke decides he wants the yarn for himself.
Member:WonderlandOfBooks
Title:Extra Yarn
Authors:Mac Barnett (Author)
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett (2012)

Annabelle finds a box of yarn. The yarn is very colorful. She begins to knit herself a sweater. That sweater, turns out, is the most colorful thing in a town of drab houses, clothing, and people. Annabelle goes to school with her sweater on where Mr. Norman tells her that it is a distraction. Annabelle's answer: everyone gets a sweater. The neighbor, the dog, the houses, the mailboxes, everything and everybody everywhere was covered in colorful knit. Knowing that Annabelle has no ordinary box of yarn, The Archduke plans and steals the box, only to find out that the box was empty...for him. Whatever is for you, is just for you I guess. ( )
  J.Peterson | Apr 7, 2020 |
I just don't think I like Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen overall. I like some of their work, and I like when they do work on their own, but overall I'm not a huge fan of either. I know they're both highly acclaimed and loved, but I just don't connect with them. I do always want to give them credit because they are so liked, and I can see why they would be appealing. ( )
  EMiMIB | Aug 2, 2019 |
little girl find a box of yarn and uses it to make sweaters and hats and she begins to transform her black and whit e town. But it seems that her magic box that never runs out of extra yarn will only work for her. Patterns make up the illustrations. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Jun 26, 2019 |
Color! This is the first Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen book I have seen with so much color in it. Most of Jon Klassen's illustrations are dark and full of subtle designs, but Extra Yarn has color on almost every single page. As the little girl in the story shares her skills of knitting with more and more people in the town, the pages become more colorful. I think the use of colors in this book represents happiness and joy, because when the archduke steals her box of yarn the pages are all black and grey tones with no color at all. Klassen's artistic style is primarily darker tones in general, and I feel his use of colors in this book, in particular, was done exceptionally well. ( )
  oleger | Mar 25, 2019 |
This book was very cute, the way that the little girl was going out of her way to knit something for everybody in town was amazing. The meaning of the book is that kindness is a magical trait. The little girl was kind to everyone and knitted sweaters for everyone and everything in town, she had an endless supply of yarn. When the Lord stole the yarn from her the box was empty and there was no yarn in it. I really liked the illustrations of the book. The page that I thought stood out the most was the page that shows the whole town covered in yarn, every building in town was in a “sweater” of some sort. The other thing that I really liked about the book was how optimistic they made the main character. In the first pages her friend Nate comes over and makes fun of her for having matching sweaters with her pet. Instead of getting mad that Nate was making fun of her she offered to make Nate and his pet a sweater. She always believed that she would have enough yarn to make everyone something, and she always did. ( )
  sarahturpin | Mar 14, 2019 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Steven Malk
--M.B.
For Mom
--J.K.
On a cold afternoon, in a cold little town, where everywhere you looked was either the white of snow or the black of soot from chimneys, Annabelle found a box filled with yarn of every color.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,453,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible