dismiss

Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental…

Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Linus Torvalds

920916,000 (3.69)4
Once upon a time Linus Torvalds was a skinny unknown, just another nerdy Helsinki techie who had been fooling around with computers since childhood. Then he wrote a groundbreaking operating system and distributed it via the Internet -- for free. Today Torvalds is an international folk hero. And his creation LINUX is used by over 12 million people as well as by companies such as IBM.Now, in a narrative that zips along with the speed of e-mail, Torvalds gives a history of his renegade software while candidly revealing the quirky mind of a genius. The result is an engrossing portrayal of a man with a revolutionary vision, who challenges our values and may change our world.… (more)
Member:cedricbonhomme
Title:Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
Authors:Linus Torvalds
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2002), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:biography, Linus Torvalds, open source, Linux

Just For Fun by Linus Torvalds (Author) (2001)

Recently added byAndrzej_P, private library, Count_Zero, shopback, jamerply, Cornix, kiview, Yrrol, devarshr, pod_twit

English (8)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
bio of Linus Torvalds, developer of Linux, interesting, but not scintillating
  FKarr | Apr 10, 2013 |
Autobiographie de celui qui a changé la face du monde informatique. ( )
  cedric_ridel | Oct 13, 2010 |
It was fun reading about the history of Linux from the point of view of its creator. Torvalds gives the impression of being an average person who inadvertently walked into fame. His apathetic approach to the whole situation conveyed a striking difference to all the other names that come to mind when thinking of the 'open source' movement.

As a bit of a disclaimer, this book was written through the language and style of a Linux hacker, not a writer. Those expecting a well written essay be forewarned that the timeline wanders and backtracks constantly. For my own reading experience it did not detract from his story, but for many it could. ( )
  tyroeternal | Oct 24, 2008 |
I read this 250 page book in a day.

Linus seems like a very accessible guy.

Although he says that enjoys money and isn't a "monk", it seems weird that he's so careful about circumstances that could get him some easy money.

I wonder if questioning his (not) taking (seemingly) easy money says more about him or more about me... ( )
  dvf1976 | Apr 23, 2008 |
Quite delightful. I liked tho quote at the beginning from his mother. ( )
  scroeser | Aug 24, 2007 |

Torvalds, LinusAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diamond, DavidAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Märtin, DorisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tove and Patricia, Daniela, and Celeste. I always wanted to be surrounded by young women, and you made it so.

To Tia and Kaley. Boy do I feel blessed.
During the euphoria of the final years of the twentieth century, a revolution was happening among all the other revolutions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,978,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible