(Anna 02) Anna desde el infierno by Kendare…

(Anna 02) Anna desde el infierno (original 2012; edition 2014)

by Kendare Blake, Montserrat Nieto Sánchez

Series: Anna (2)

Months after Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell and sacrificed herself for seventeen-year-old ghost hunter Cas Lowood, persistent visions of Anna being tortured cause Cas to decide to save her as she once saved him.
Member:Natt90
Title:(Anna 02) Anna desde el infierno
Authors:Kendare Blake
Other authors:Montserrat Nieto Sánchez
Info:Barcelona Alfaguara Juvenil 2014
Collections:Juvenil

Work Information

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (2012)

Ghosts (133)

Very good ending to the set. I loved the characters, loved the writing style. ( )
  MinaSmith12345 | Jan 26, 2022 |
I liked this one almost just as much as its predecessor. The characters grew on me even more (especially Carmel, well for a while I was mad at her) and the story was different enough from the first to add to the story, rather than rehash the first one. The first book didn't need a sequel, but I'm glad it got one, because it was a nice ending. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
I'm having a hard time rating this one. I loved the first book, and I don't hate this one, but its not as good as the first. My mind kept wandering and by the end I just wanted it to end. I wanted to love it because its a sequel to the first but I don't and thats sad. I had to stop reading it and read other books in between. I'm pretty dissapointed. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Anna is gone and Cas can't bring himself to move on. She was a ghost when he met her, and he was not only a living person, but also a ghost hunter - there was never any future for the two of them. But that doesn't stop him from thinking about her and missing her.

However, it seems like Anna might not entirely be gone. Cas keeps seeing and hearing her. The problem is that, wherever she is, she's being horribly tortured. Literally everyone tells Cas that he needs to forget about Anna and try to move on, but how can he when he keeps seeing her in so much agony?

I read Anna Dressed in Blood way back in 2018. I remember mostly enjoying it, but it's been long enough that my memories are fuzzy. This was a bit of a problem when I started Girl of Nightmares. It wasn't that Blake didn't provide enough info to remind readers about what happened - I was able to get back into the story fairly well. The problem was that I couldn't remember why Anna was worth all of Cas's moping, risk-taking, and general selfishness.

He almost died during a fight against a ghost because the longer he delayed ending the fight, the more opportunities he got to see and maybe hear Anna. Just about everyone in the book told him that he needed to give up on his obsession, and the only reason I didn't 100% agree with them was because Cas couldn't exactly stop the visions he kept having of Anna sitting there and getting her skin peeled off. Otherwise, though, it was frustrating how Cas seemed to view the very, very dead Anna as being of greater value than all the living people in his life.

The bulk of the book was agonizingly slow. I disliked the way Blake paired Thomas and Carmel off in the first book, and unfortunately things took a turn for the worse in this one. The way one event was handled didn't even make sense - why be so cruel and then not follow through? It didn't even feel like a very Carmel thing to do.

The last 70 pages of this, plus some of Cas's earlier Anna sightings, were the best parts of the book. Too bad it was overshadowed by all that tedious bloat. Hardly any of the great ghost moments and awesome Anna scenes that made the first book so fun, with the added annoyance of several characters who grated on my nerves (was Cas this much of a moping jerk in the first book? and ugh, Jestine's personality irked me). This could easily have been a much better 100-page novella. After slogging through this, I kind of wish I'd treated the first book as a standalone.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jul 4, 2021 |
*4.5
I really enjoyed the sequel to Anna Dressed in Blood. The ending was pretty epic and Kendare Blake did a great job of making the world (both real and paranormal) come to life. I enjoyed the conflicts and resolutions not only of Cas but also of Thomas, Carmel, and the other minor characters with their own minor conflicts. This book felt more fleshed out (no pun intended) and intricate compared to the first one. There were a few spots that were a little slower for me, but I was able to read the second half of the book in one afternoon. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, AugustNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I think I killed a girl who looked like this once.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,570,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible