The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu…

The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu Mystery (Dharma Detective) (edition 2012)

by Gay Hendricks, Tinker Lindsay

Member:scorpio11
Title:The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu Mystery (Dharma Detective)
Authors:Gay Hendricks
Other authors:Tinker Lindsay
Info:Hay House Visions (2012), Paperback, 312 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:unread, fiction, ebook, own

The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu Mystery (Tenzing Norbu Mysteries) by Gay Hendricks

Liked it far more than I thought I would. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Liked it far more than I thought I would. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
I enjoyed the characters much more than the mystery. The tenets of Buddhism are woven in nicely, but the mystery was loosely strung together and explained by a dialogue summary at the end. I started out anxious to read this series, but changed my mind by the end. ( )
  poetreegirl | Jan 14, 2015 |
I love this series, though I'm getting into it rather backward! I first read "The Third Rule" for an upcoming review, and enjoyed it so much that I went back to the first one. Next, #2!

Ten in a fascinating character with an equally fascinating backstory: from Buddhist monk, to LA police detective, and now a PI- it's an unexpected trajectory, but one that makes a lot of sense in context.

The characters- Ten and the others- are all lively and well-drawn, including Ten's cat Tank. The differences between Ten's take on things and most modern American's are appropriate; after all, he did grow up in a monastery! So while he misses some cultural references, he also has a different but helpful perspective.

The plot is nice and twisty, with some good surprises.

I definitely recommend both this book and this series, and I look forward to reading the second! ( )
  cissa | Jun 28, 2014 |
The concept -- a Tibetan Buddhist ex-cop striking out as a private eye in Los Angeles -- is interesting, if ripe with problems of cultural appropriation. The plot is fine, mixing a mobbed-up hog farm with an odd cult and insurance fraud and murder; and there's the obligatory romantic interest. But somehow, this just didn't work for me. I think the authors perceive human nature on a different set of wavelengths than I do, and throughout the book, I felt that I was trying to absorb the story through a distracting New Age gauze. Adding to the challenge, while the lead character and narrator is a supposed to be a guy, the narrative voice didn't sound like a guy. It was enjoyable enough, but the rest of the series does not beckon. ( )
  bezoar44 | Nov 6, 2013 |

Gay Hendricksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hendricks, Gaymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindsay, Tinkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Homan, PamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McStravick, CharlesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Tenzing Norbu ('Ten' for short)--ex-Buddhist monk and soon-to-be ex-cop--takes on his first case as a private investigator in Los Angeles. Growing up in a Tibetan monastery, Ten dreamed of becoming a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. So when he was sent to Los Angeles to teach meditation, he joined the LAPD instead. But as the Buddha says, change is inevitable; and ten years later, everything is about to change--big-time--for Ten. One resignations from the police force, two bullet-wounds, three suspicious deaths, and a beautiful woman later, he quickly learns that whenever he breaks his first rule, mayhem follows."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible