The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu…

The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu Mystery (Dharma Detective) (edition 2012)

by Gay Hendricks, Tinker Lindsay

55None206,037 (3.98)18
Member:scorpio11
Title:The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu Mystery (Dharma Detective)
Authors:Gay Hendricks
Other authors:Tinker Lindsay
Info:Hay House Visions (2012), Paperback, 312 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:unread, fiction, ebook, own

The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu Mystery (Dharma Detective) by Gay Hendricks

The concept -- a Tibetan Buddhist ex-cop striking out as a private eye in Los Angeles -- is interesting, if rife for problems of cultural appropriation. The plot is fine, mixing a mobbed-up hog farm with an odd cult and insurance fraud and murder; and there's the obligatory romantic interest. But somehow, this just didn't work for me. I think the authors perceive human nature on a different set of wavelengths than I do, and throughout the book, I felt like I was trying to absorb the story through a distracting New Age gauze. Adding to the challenge, while the lead character and narrator is a supposed to be a guy, the narrative voice didn't sound like a guy. It was enjoyable enough, but the rest of the series does not beckon. ( )
  bezoar44 | Nov 6, 2013 |
Ah, Tenzing Norbu. A former monk from Tibet morphs into a Police Detective in Los Angeles and decides to become a private detective. Spouting Zen and empathy and the sometimes necessary badness, the character of Tenzing brings a fresh and welcome addition to the Mystery Genre. Author Gay Hendricks has created a sort of Tibetan Harry Bosch, but this definitely stands on its own. Reconciling caring for all sentient beings with ensuring justice for clients in this selfish and often evil world is a difficult balance, promising many entries to this series.
Received from publisher. ( )
  hfineisen | Jul 16, 2013 |
Buddhist former cop becomes a private eye. ( )
  picardyrose | Feb 4, 2013 |
This book is a really fun read and a serious page turner. I especially love that the main character, Ten, is self-aware yet easily relatable to all of us who have our heads in the clouds but still have our feet planted firmly on the ground. A good read for all. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Jan 30, 2013 |
  MaryAnn12 | Jan 24, 2013 |

The "First Rule of Ten" is the first installment in a three-book mystery series centred around a Tibetan Buddhist monk turned private investigator, Tenzing Norbu ("Ten" for short). The first book is set in present day Los Angeles, and it follows Ten as he tries to solve the murder of his former landlord's ex-wife. The "First Rule of Ten" is both a gripping mystery with dramatic plot twists as well as a reflective, character-driven story that is at times humorous, insightful and touching.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible