The Christmas Scrapbook

by Philip Gulley

Series: Harmony (Christmas novella)

It's autumn in Harmony, and Pastor Sam Gardner has vowed to be ready for Christmas. Determined to redeem a dreadful history of gift giving, Sam enrolls in a scrapbooking class to make a Christmas gift his wife will never forget. However, Sam's absence from their home every Wednesday night, coupled with his fishy alibi of attending a men's group, raises her suspicions. Meanwhile, Sam struggles in the class and must attempt to complete his project with only the help of his faithful secretary, Frank. As Christmas fast approaches and rumors of Sam's Wednesday night absences swirl along with the snow, a series of mishaps leads to a Christmas no one will soon forget.… (more)

Given that it was my first time trying this author, I haven't read any of the previous books in the Harmony series. But that didn't hinder my reading here at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed this holiday novella. I found the style a little old-fashioned and slightly storybookish when I started, but it didn't take long for me to get into the everyday small-town feel.

I also adjusted from my mode of taking stuff seriously (except when it came to a couple of jokey "Nazi" references in the book), as I didn't know beforehand how comedic this story would be. Everyday small-town-ness mixed with a bunch of small-town folks' quirks. I chuckled plenty along the way, but more than once, this book cracked me up so hard, I had to put it down.

Quirky, Christmassy, and laugh-out-loud hilarious for me. I'll certainly be checking out more of the Harmony books. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Jun 12, 2022 |
Pastor Gardner wants to make the perfect Christmas gift for his wife, but keeping it secret causes all kinds of hilarious misunderstandings.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 9, 2021 |
Easy listening in book form ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
This little novella is book 5.5 in the Harmony series featuring Quaker minister Sam Gardner, his wife Barbara, and the Friends of the Harmony meeting house.

I love the gentle stories of one man’s efforts to make a difference in his community. This time his focus is on his wife. He’s determined to give Barbara a better gift than the usual bought-on-Christmas-eve potholder from the local five-and-dime. So, Sam signs up for a scrapbooking class. The results are predictably hilarious. But also impart a lesson about faith, tolerance, love and the spirit of Christmas. As well as a caution about jumping to conclusions and engaging in gossip. ( )
  BookConcierge | Dec 4, 2018 |
A very funny story. A very quick read! Minister takes scrapbooking classes,he has glue "issues" and from that pont on Murphy's Law goes into effect. Very enjoyable read. If you like Garrison Keillor you will probably enjoy this author. Can't wait to read his other books. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Harmony (Christmas novella)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,654,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible