Boston Cream

by Howard Shrier

When PI Jonah Geller heads to Boston on the trail of a family friend's son, this missing person case looks more like a case of burnout. But it soon becomes clear that overachieving surgeon-in-training David Fine had a real reason to run. He'd been forced into a criminal ring performing illegal organ transplants, the brainchild of a Boston crime boss. Geller goes after him with partner Jenn Raudsepp, but when Jenn is kidnapped herself, he needs help from a former hit man and two wise guys to try to get her back, and stay one step ahead of the Boston law.… (more)

This time, Jonah Geller is hired to investigate the disappearance of a medical student in Boston by his Toronto-based parents. Thus begins perhaps the darkest of Shrier's quartet of Geller novels. The violence here, in fact, went a bit too far even for me. I'm not sure it was necessary to make it all quite so bad. The next book in the series, Miss Montreal, seems pacifist by comparison! Nevertheless, this is a must-read series for its incredible characters, notably Geller himself and ex-hitman Dante Ryan, who is called upon once again to help save the day when Geller's partner Jenn is kidnaped by a sadistic villain. Luckily, Ryan has all the right connections to get guns, thugs, or whatever is needed to combat the problem at hand. I recommend reading the series from the beginning to really understand the dynamic of their relationship--and of the other characters such as Jenn and Colin. This is one of the most impressive series I have read. It's time for another one. ( )
  datrappert | Jul 1, 2019 |
Boston Cream is Howard Shrier's third novel featuring PI Jonah Geller, but a first read of this Arthur Ellis award winning Canadian author for me. It definitely won't be the last.

Geller is just back to work, still feeling the effects of a severe concussion, earned on his last case. If Ron Fine wasn't a family friend, he would have turned him down. Ron hasn't heard from his son in almost two weeks and it's unlike David to not be in touch with his family or miss work - he's a highly skilled surgeon at a Boston hospital. Ron doesn't think the cops in Boston are looking very hard for David and wants his own man on the job. Geller reluctantly agrees, but takes along partner Jenn Raudsepp for help.

Geller and Raudsepp are good, very good. They quickly find clues and connections the cops have missed. But...the bad guys have their sights on Geller and Raudsepp as well. Jenn is kidnapped and Geller is forced to call in another favour from Canada...former hit man Dante Ryan....

I am so glad to have discovered Shrier. Geller is a richly different character - his sense of right and wrong is clearly defined and the path to justice very clear, although it may not always be on the right side of the law. I didn't get to know Jenn as well as I would have liked to in this book, but Geller and Ryan are fiercely loyal and protective of her. I'll have to go back and read the first two in this series Buffalo Jump and High Chicago to get the back story. I am intrigued by Dante Ryan - a hit man who wants to put that part of his life behind him, but won't let his friends down.

I loved the 'local' setting - reading of streets and places in Toronto and imagining Geller walking down them. Although Shrier takes Geller over the border in Boston Cream, the Canadian references are very fun and had me laughing to myself. When Geller takes out two Boston bad guys...

"What does McCudden say"
"He ain't talking yet. Still doped up. Took two pretty good shots."
"From a Canadian."
"Yeah."

The plotting in Boston Cream is excellent, taking a very real crime (I don't want to giveaway the plot) and weaving a tight, taut story around it. The pacing is good, with the final chapters being a run for the money - an action packed, non stop finale.

"I am not a violent man. I keep telling myself that. I think of myself as a good man at heart, who keeps getting caught up in deeds committed by men who really are violent. So I tell myself, if it only happens when I go to the States, where the stakes seem high and guns abound, then there's a simple solution. Hide my passport and keep my peace-loving self at home. Because that is what non-violent men do."

Uh-huh - I'll be waiting to see what case Geller takes on next.....and where..... ( )
  Twink | Feb 13, 2012 |
There is a reason Shrier (High Chicago) consistently wins the Arthur Ellis, Canada's highest crime fiction award: he tells a really good story. Relish the local color, cultural nuances, and successive waves of action.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Teresa L. Jacobsen (Jan 1, 2012)

Belongs to Series

To my sons Aaron and Jesse, for all they give me, and to Harriet for everything else.
It was five minutes before ten in the evening and Harinder Patel was ringing up Mr. Gordon's usual sale: a pack of Marlboro Lights and ten tickets for the lottery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,457,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible