One Minute to Midnight

by Amy Silver

For many years, beginning when she was thirteen, Nicole Blake spent every new year with her three friends- Julian, her first love, Alex, her best friend, and Aidan, her obsession. Together the four had partied hard, suppported each other, and fallen in love. But then tragedy and betrayal tore the friends apart, and Nicole settled down to married life with Dom in London.But in the week running up to New Year's Eve 2011, Nicole and Dom are preparing for a trip to New York to meet up with Aidan and Alex for the first time in years. But with so much left unsaid and unresolved between them all, can they really return to their old friendship? And if they do, Nicole isn't sure she'll ever want to come home again.… (more)

You can also read my review here: http://bookbybookreview.blogspot.com/2011/12/review-giveaway-one-minute-to-midni...

What an amazing book to end 2011 with. One Minute to Midnight is my first ever novel by Amy Silver and I can tell you one thing, it will not be my last.

I feel emotionally exhausted after reading this book. For one thing, I could not put it down and I feel like I have been on a 24-hour roller-coaster ride. The format, a back-and-forth between past and present New Year's Eves, made the story feel so complete. Even though you know that something dramatic had happened in Nicole's life, you aren't really sure what it is. However, as you read along in an attempt to sort it out, you go through an incredible journey of friends and family and all of the beautiful memories that were made along the way.

Every New Year's Eve, I make up that list of resolutions for the year ahead. It was so fun to read Nicole and Julian's resolutions, year after year, and I found myself laughing when those same ones keep croping up again and again... lose weight, quit smoking. The holiday's are a time that can bring people, friends, back together when they haven't had time for eachother throughout the year. I found that Amy Silver was able to capture that in her writing. It seemed that no matter where these friends were in their life journey, they were always there for eachother when it counted.

Overall, this was a fabulous read and one that will be with me for a long time to come. I will be recommending it as a year end read to all of my friends and family. ( )
  LindsayGentles | Jan 25, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,808,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible