Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson

Exegetical Fallacies (edition 1996)

by D. A. Carson (Author)

Member:HBTL
Title:Exegetical Fallacies
Authors:D. A. Carson (Author)
Info:Baker Academic (1996), Edition: 2, 160 pages
Collections:Yad Hashmona

Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson

Recently added byBradGreenLibrary, private library, mwstephens80, RyanV, bemidbar, CharlesEW, ahuguenard

This book is a handy summation of the major types of exegetical fallacies. It provides clear definitions and good illustrations, and is especially adept at distinguishing and relating the various "members" of the various families of related fallacies. Carson is clearly an exegete of uncommon skill, especially in his grasp of the general rules of linguistics and logic.

However. I would have to say that I feel generous giving the book a single star because of one single factor: the tone. I've read a good many scholars who could have used a lesson or two in humility and gentility, but I've never read another book that could match this for arrogance and condescension. In fact, it's so bad, you expect about halfway through that Carson is going to reveal that the book is a parody of exegetical criticism. You keep waiting for the, "Oh, I'm just kidding! I really do respect the authors I'm critiquing and their works are, overall, extremely valuable." That moment never comes.

And the REAL issue is that the information in the book is truly valuable, well-organized, and easy-to-follow. I'd love to use this text in a hermeneutics class, but since I'm trying to teach students to be lovers of the Word of God and not to be pompous, self-important, condescending jerks, I'll have to look for another text. ( )
  Jared_Runck | Mar 26, 2018 |
Excellent little book that helps the student of the Bible avoid common interpretive pitfalls. Recommended for the preacher/teacher. ( )
  bartbox | Jun 15, 2017 |
This little book is wonderful, it breaks down the numerous fallacies on scholarly works from logic to linguistic fallacies ( )
  Theodore.Gebretsadik | Feb 8, 2015 |
It was a good read, but I think there were some fundamental problems with Carson's work. At some points it seemed that he was unable to criticize his own methods that this book. It was also written with a considerable amount of bias that went unchecked. Important read for exegetes but also an interesting example of strong-willed bias in scholarship. ( )
  tehone | Jan 25, 2014 |
(Note: this is a review of the first edition, not the second.)

This is a thought-provoking read, but not an easy one, unless you're comfortable with some fairly advanced terminology from logic and greek grammar. But recommended for all those who take the study or application of theology seriously -- which should include all preachers.

Carson looks in turn at different classes of fallacies, arising from Word Studies, Greek Grammar, Logic and then Presuppositions/History. In each he then subcategorises them into many smaller classes, and gives one or more examples from each. Wisely he takes his examples from many different theological positions, and doesn't exempt one of his earlier works. Wisely too, it's not a very long book, as it's dense enough as it is.

Worryingly, some of the fallacies he lists, particularly around the greek grammar, are ones that I've been taught in greek class at college (eg, around interpretation of aorist tenses and conditionals). Others require a greater mind than mine to notice, so having him point them out and show the (usually missing) logical steps that are in error, has also been useful. But it was somewhat off-putting that even with a year's greek study, most of the grammatical terminology he uses was new to me.

The book has very thorough references, and an scriptural index. ( )
  jandm | Aug 17, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0801020867, Paperback)

Updated explanations of the ''sins'' of interpretation teach sound grammatical, lexical, cultural, theological, and historical Bible study practices.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,501,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible