King of Thorns (The Broken Empire) by Mark…

King of Thorns (The Broken Empire) (edition 2013)

by Mark Lawrence

Member:KateSherrod
Title:King of Thorns (The Broken Empire)
Authors:Mark Lawrence
Info:Ace (2013), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

English (22)  Albanian (1)  All (23)
This book is, in almost every way, better than the first. The world-building and how magic can exist when these books take place in a post-apocalyptic future is more thoroughly explained. Jorg's personality and decisions are called into question. Were they really his own? Or was he guided by others for most of his life? Is he really the reprehensible man we all know because of who he is, or because he was molded that way? Ultimately we don't know. It's up to the reader to believe how much of Jorg is "nature vs. nurture" if you will.

The writing was beautiful, the small glimpses into the history of the world are great, and Jorg is as always an entertaining badass who takes no shit from anyone, only now he actually has grown up a bit. Enough to know regret, and enough to understand loss and remorse. Even if they're only small doses compared to a well-adjusted human being, they are definitely a sign of growth and change.

Katherine appears in the story mostly through first-person diary entries, which are actually quite good. I found myself liking her character quite a lot.

Other than that, don't know what to say. Read my review of the first book. It's mostly more of the same, while adding to Jorg and Katherine's respective depth as characters.

And I said it when I read the first book and I'll say it again. These remind me so much of The Book of the New Sun tetralogy but far more entertaining and accessible. If you tried reading those and like them in theory but have had trouble getting into them, I would highly recommend this series. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
4.5 / 5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Might be five. Gotta think. review later ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Dark but fun ( )
  mgriel | Jan 18, 2016 |
The second book of Broken Empire is really awesome. I enjoyed every moment of this book.Prince of Thorn is good but this sequel is brilliant.
you walk by Jorg, You realize with him and know what he would do after.Every page of this book is just perfect.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.” ( )
  ardvisoor | Sep 14, 2015 |
In genre reading I tend to look first to story or character, pushing aside the need for beautiful prose and clever structures. I want to be transported to another world, to experience the impossible. King of Thorns does this, but it also does so much more,

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

After finding ancient, magical artifacts hidden in a chamber beneath the castle, King Jorg plots to use them against the twenty thousand members of the enemy's approaching army.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,852,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible