The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth…

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (original 1958; edition 2011)

by Elizabeth George Speare (Author)

Member:Sandralovesbooks
Title:The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Authors:Elizabeth George Speare (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: Reissue, 272 pages
Rating:***

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (1958)

Kit has always lived on Barbados with her grandfather. When she is just sixteen years old, he dies, and his estate is sold. She must move to the colonies to be with her only family, her aunt and her family, people she has never met.

She is very different from the Puritan population, with her unusual habits, friendly manner, and fancy clothes, so she is not trusted. When she befriends an old Quaker woman who lives as an outcast, both women are under suspicion when an unusual malady strikes the colony.

This is a wonderful book about tolerance and acceptance of people who are different from ourselves. It is also about friendship and family. It is well-written, but for some reason, I found it less appealing than I had expected it to be. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Nov 8, 2018 |
It's dawned on me that there are probably some "classic" children's books that I haven't yet read, and while poring through the lists I stumbled upon this one which indeed, somehow, I missed.

Loved it! It had everything I could possibly want in a book. Compelling plot, not too dark, not too light, great protagonist, especially well-drawn secondary characters (there are many, many of them, and they each had a distinctive personality--it was such a pleasure to read this book, when so many novels these days seem to differentiate their characters by name and quirk rather than actually render a rounded description).

I was feeling high 4 stars through most of it, but burst into tears at the end so it gets kicked up to 5. Nicely done, book.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I think that there is secretly a whole stash of fantastic middle grade books out there that I missed while I was obsessively re-reading Harry Potter and anything Tamora Pierce. Like The Outsiders? That's a lot of peoples' favorite book, and I totally missed it.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond is just one such book. I thought it was fantastic. Kit was great - I thought her introspection was very insightful. The variety of minor characters was excellent was well. We had people of all ages and backgrounds weighing into the story, some of whom surprised me. At the base of it, this novel is meant to be a romance, but it didn't feel like that. It felt more like a bildungsroman... a coming of age. Kit's year in Connecticut shows her a bit of the world outside her childhood in Barbados, and helps her discover herself.

What I particular enjoyed about this book - and what took me aback - is how so many parts of this novel can be metaphoric to the troubles in our country right now. Fear and prejudice has lead people to do abhorrent things as of late, and Kit's observation and thoughts on the violent rashness of the people around her felt all too familiar.

But you have to like Kit. For her bravery and her honesty, you have to like her.

The novel is quick to read, well-written, and charming in its own ways. It's easy to get lost in the world, but you can find your way out again rightly enough. I think this book would be an excellent one to teach in school, and fits alongside stories like Hatchet and The Secret Life of Bees. ( )
  Morteana | Jul 3, 2018 |
When 16 year-old Kit Tyler leaves her tropical, island home in Barbados to journey to her Aunt and Uncle’s house in Connecticut, she has no idea what perils await her. Caught between her desire to remain true to herself and also be accepted by her new family, Kit faces daily internal conflict. As hard as she tries, she can’t embrace the harsh Puritan ways of the community. When she befriends a kind, old women who has been branded as a witch, she knows she is putting her own reputation at risk. Only Nat, the ship captain’s son, knows of the challenges she faces. When Kit, herself, is accused of being a witch who will step in to save her? ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
I read this as a kid. I remember liking it a lot, but I don't remember what it was about. I should read it again. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |

Elizabeth George Speareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hurt, Mary BethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a morning in mid-April, 1687, the brigantine Dolphin left the open sea, sailed briskly across the Sound to the wide mouth of the Connecticut River and into Saybrook harbor.
"Still dazed, Hannah accepted the miracle and the prospect of a journey like a docile child. Then after two shaky steps she turned obstinate. She would not set foot in the boat without her cat."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440995779, Mass Market Paperback)

Forced to leave her sunny Caribbean home for the bleak Connecticut Colony, Kit Tyler is filled with trepidation. As they sail up the river to Kit's new home, the teasing and moodiness of a young sailor named Nat doesn't help. Still, her unsinkable spirit soon bobs back up. What this spirited teenager doesn't count on, however, is how her aunt and uncle's stern Puritan community will view her. In the colonies of 1687, a girl who swims, wears silk and satin gowns, and talks back to her elders is not only headstrong, she is in grave danger of being regarded as a witch. When Kit befriends an old Quaker woman known as the Witch of Blackbird Pond, it is more than the ascetics can take: soon Kit is defending her life. Who can she count on as she confronts these angry and suspicious townspeople?

A thoroughly exciting and rewarding Newbery Medal winner and ALA Notable Children's Book, Elizabeth George Speare's The Witch of Blackbird Pond brings this frightening period of witch hysteria to life. Readers will wonder at the power of the mob mentality, and the need for communities in desperate times--even current times--to find a scapegoat. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:12 -0400)

In 1687, Kit Tyler moves from the Caribbean to Connecticut Colony. Her friendship for a strange, old woman leads to her trial for witchcraft.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,205,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible