Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna…

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Anna Quindlen

Member:RebaRelishesReading
Title:Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
Authors:Anna Quindlen
Info:Random House (2012), Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Kindle

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen (2012)

On the face of it, this wouldn't be my cup of tea: Baby boomer American 'Mom' looks back on her life to date and offers advice to readers. Sounds more like the stuff of women's magazines. Indeed, that women's mag demographic will be 90% of the readers but I, although being male, am a baby boomer, and live in a middle class western culture as Ms Quindlen does. I found myself with many experiences in common with her. Listening to this audio book (read by the author, which helps a lot) was a surprisingly positive experience. I have found Quindlen's fiction writing to be a cut above the majority in her genre and this memoir reveals her to be an intelligent and thoughtful person. ( )
  oldblack | Jan 3, 2015 |
I have not had a chance to really get into this book. I have found myself straying off into random re-reads of favorite fiction, and not wanting to read essays so much.
  CKArmi | Nov 24, 2014 |
I just turned 60 this summer, and there could not have been a book more appropriate for me than this one. As I was reading, I kept thinking, 'How does she know what I'm thinking about?' I found my mind and hers in a deep connection. I was raised at the same time as Anna (also Catholic), experienced an early loss such as hers (this time loss of a father due to divorce), have a complicated relationship with the Catholic church, and have had to make choices with my career and life similar to hers. So this was a match made in heaven. All of us, however, process life differently, no matter the similarity of circumstances, and it's rare for me to meet a mind that considers it in such a similar way. The 60s bring...what is it?...wisdom? broadmindedness? peace? Whatever the term, I felt Anna was speaking for me, and that's highly unusual for me, particularly given the volume of memoirs I have read in my lifetime. I hope Anna writes another one in 10 years, and then again in 20. My suspicion is that she'll still be speaking my language. ( )
  peggybr | Sep 28, 2014 |
Wonderful collection of vignettes about growing older, raising kids, life in general. One of my favorite authors! ( )
  tloeffler | Aug 29, 2014 |
I love anything by Anna Quindlen. ( )
  bogopea | Jul 18, 2014 |
Suddenly sixty, Quindlen finds herself looking back on her life. She's not so much wondering how she got where she is but, rather, considering how the choices she made and the chances she took along the way have prepared her for the road ahead. What even to call this next stage in a woman's life? Not elderly, certainly, yet definitely no longer young, this middle-aged morass can be hard to navigate. Friendships fade, fashions flummox, the body wimps out, and the mind has a mind of its own. One can either fight it or face it. In her own unmistakably reasonable way, Quindlen manages to do both, with grace and agility, wisdom and wit, sending out comforting affirmations while ardently confronting preconceived stereotypes and societal demands.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist (Mar 4, 2013)

It's odd when I think of the arc of my life, from child to young woman to aging adult.
But at this stage in my life, I'm not interested in being with people who don't have my back.
...Friends are what we women have in addition to, or in lieu of, therapists.
Life is haphazard. We plan, and then we deal when the plans go awry. Control is an illusion; best intentions are the best we can do.
Old is wherever you haven't gotten to yet.

In this irresistible memoir, the #1 "New York Times" bestselling author writes about her life and the lives of women today, looking back and ahead--and celebrating it all--as she considers marriage, girlfriends, our mothers, faith, loss, all that stuff in our closets, and more.… (more)

290 wanted2 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,712,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible