dismiss

The Gamble

by Kristen Ashley

Series: Colorado Mountain (1)

Nina Sheridan desperately needs a timeout vacation. With a fianc√© who can't even remember how she takes her coffee, Nina wants some distance to rethink her engagement. Flying halfway around the world from England to a mountain town in Colorado should do the trick. But when she finds a gorgeous man at her rental cabin, Nina's cold, lonely adventure suddenly heats up. The owner of the house, Holden "Max" Maxwell is surprised by the beautiful woman who turns up at his door. But when Nina becomes ill, Max spends days nursing her back to health. A private man with a broken heart, Max finds himself drawn to the strong-willed woman. Soon it becomes impossible for Nina and Max to deny their growing attraction to one another. Yet even as these two wounded lovebirds think about taking a chance on a relationship, a dangerous secret from Max's past emerges-and threatens to end their love for good.… (more)

Randomly found this audiobook on Scribd and little did I knew that book is one of the best novels ever. Now hear me out. It has it flaws, I know it, but story and writing was wonderful. ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
4.7 stars

Another fantastic book with a larger than life hero and a fierce ball of sunshine that keeps him on his toes. I loved that Max got the chance to have an equal in his life and that Nina finally got to experience a good guy. The gamble paid off for both of them. I can already tell that there is going to be plenty of characters that are going to get their story told. ( )
  MagicalRi | Dec 22, 2019 |
Max was a favorite on this series. I love how different Max and Nina are and how perfectly they complement each other. I enjoyed going through the dialogue of an alpha male. ( )
  jessieroberts2133 | Oct 18, 2019 |
There's a lot in this book, there's a reason it's so thick. She's on a break to figure out if she still wants to marry her fiance when she falls under Max's care.He can be overbearing and bossy, he's also caring and protective. Which she needs as she seems to get 'wild hairs' that get her into trouble and in harms way.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
The Gamble was my first Kristen Ashley book. It was probably not a good idea to start with the audio version narrated by Emma Taylor. It has been my experience that listening to audio takes at least twice as long as reading, which makes a lengthy book like this seem never-ending. I wasn't crazy about the vocal characterizations overall, but I thought the heroine's voice was fine.
As to the writing itself, there are many good reviews already that mention the insane amount of description of seemingly insignificant details about the heroine's apparel or home decor, etc. This really should have been pared down considerably. Be prepared for many expressions that seem a little off such as the heroine's melting stomach or her stomach that dipped. Initially, the hero just came off as incredibly crass and ill mannered and I failed to see how that made him a 'mountain man'. But he was very protective of the heroine, family and friends and he had some very sweet moments. The heroine was a mix of very strong, confident lady and insecure pushover. Both suffered from Romancelandia lack of communication syndrome.
Despite all of its issues, overall, I liked the book and it had a great epilogue that made me cry. I would definitely try another book by this author. 3/5 stars ( )
  mary23nm | Feb 27, 2019 |

Ashley, Kristenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taylor, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Nina Sheridan's on a timeout adventure in the Colorado mountains. She needs distance from her clueless fiance, distance to decide whether she wants to spend the rest of her life with a man who doesn't care enough to learn how she takes her coffee.

Arriving in a blinding snowstorm at the A-Frame she rented for two weeks, she comes face to face with the most amazing man she's ever seen.

Minutes later, when he kicks her out of his house, she goes head to head with him.

Beyond angry because she's flown half a world away to start her timeout adventure, not to mention her sinuses hurt, she heads back down the mountain and ends up in a ditch. Unable to extricate herself, she gives up, hopes for rescue and falls asleep in the backseat.

The next morning she wakes up in the amazing man's bed and she's sick as a dog.

Holden Maxwell spends days nursing her back to health and then he spends the next two weeks trying to convince her to take her Colorado adventure further, in other words, make it permanent and take a gamble on him.

Nina has a tough time fighting her attraction to Max, especially when it seems all Max's friends, her mother, stepdad and the whole town of Gnaw Bone want them together. Not to mention, both she and Max get embroiled in the murder of Max's ex-friend and the town of Gnaw Bone's most detested resident - a man everyone has motive to kill, especially Max.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,038,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible