Into the Wild (1996)

by Jon Krakauer

15,249399273 (3.88)1 / 376
In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.… (more)
    Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden ; and, Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (sturlington)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue, bluepiano)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    bluepiano: Another young Yank who died in the wilderness whilst on a impassioned private quest.
    Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer (sturlington)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Drop City by T. C. Boyle (suniru)
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)
    Arctic Daughter: A Wilderness Journey by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)

English (375)  Italian (6)  Spanish (4)  German (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (399)
The riveting, tragic story of Chris McCandless, who hitchhiked to Alaska, walked into the woods north of Mount McKinley (Denali), and whose remains were found four months later. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
I'd been interested in this book for several years, even more so since watching the movie based on it a couple months ago. I wasn't disappointed.

This is my third Krakauer book and with each endeavor, I find that I love his style more and more. I'm debating which to read next, although a reread of [b:Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith|10847|Under the Banner of Heaven A Story of Violent Faith|Jon Krakauer|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1356441391l/10847._SY75_.jpg|1723947] is top of the list.

I'm not sure my initial impressions of McCandless have changed, he was arrogant and overconfident but I still admire him for doing what he dreamed of instead of tucking the goal away and becoming bitter and jaded later in life. He certainly was much braver than I was at his age - there's only six months difference between us. Joining the Marines at 17 seems much less challenging than what he did over the last couple years of his life. But, then again, I'm pretty happy with where I ended up and I've only had the occasional layover in Alaska...

If you've enjoyed any of the author's other books, then I'm pretty certain you'll like this one, too. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
It is very easy to either idolize Chris McCandless as a hero leaving a capitalist, unpersonal and cold society or to condemn his as a naive and in the end stupid youth with a romantic dream and no knowledge about his dangerous endeavour. I've seen both and, in my head, I have done both. Jon Krakauer manages to do neither but to give us insight into both claims and in the process leaves it up to our own interpretation. This, I think, is just the right way to write about the live of Chris McCandless, to not just tell his story but also make us think about his motives and his actions while maintaining the necessary tact and respect for Chris and his family. ( )
  ImaginarySpace | May 3, 2021 |
This biography follows the story of Christopher McCandless and his transition into a therapeutic lifestyle away from the hustle and bustle of society to being able to live off the land and being in tune with nature. This book is generally recommended for high school students as the opportunity to analyze complex themes ranging from the importance of nature to the role society plays in shaping human nature allow for these students to grow their critical thinking skills which will serve them well when transitioning to college. ( )
  amassa1994 | Apr 25, 2021 |
This is quite a rare occurrence, but I liked the movie better!

Jon Krakauer does a great job. I like his writing. He mixes journalism with personal stories in the right dose, and I absolute loved the literary entries to each chapter.
But I did see the movie first and it had such an emotional edge, I felt the book paled in comparison. Maybe the movie did a better job of portraying Chris McCandless/Alex Supertramp as a anti-hero, while the book go to such an extent on trying to justify him that it end up seeding doubts about McCandless’ persona in the reader’s mind.
Quite a moving story anyway you look at it.

RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,955,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible