dismiss

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the Wild (1996)

by Jon Krakauer

14,454381269 (3.89)1 / 372
In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.… (more)
    Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden / On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue, bluepiano)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    bluepiano: Another young Yank who died in the wilderness whilst on a impassioned private quest.
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    Drop City by T. Coraghessan Boyle (suniru)
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (sturlington)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer (sturlington)
    Arctic Daughter: A Wilderness Journey by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)

English (357)  Italian (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (380)
Far better than film and felt McCandless was a personality that was far easier to come to grips with. Krakauer's persons anecdotes and stories of people that resembled McCandless were fascinating in their own rights. ( )
  Conor.Murphy | May 27, 2020 |
I listened to this while driving between KC and St. Louis. It was the only Audiobook I could find at my mom's house that wasn't Moby Dick, and I put it on not expecting much. I was back in St. Louis before I realized. A really, really engrossing story about the individualist american spirit and the inescapable reach of all-encompassing global capitalism. I had to sit parked in front of my house for half an hour to hear the end. ( )
  Jetztzeit | May 15, 2020 |
As the book went on, I found myself disliking Chris McCandless more and more. The book is great, and I'm a fan of Jon Krakauer.. but, I didn't care for McCandless as a person. I enjoyed reading his story, but was annoyed by him. ( )
  Cassabass | Feb 24, 2020 |
I read this for the "A Biography" part of my 2018 reading challenge. I didn't enjoy it, I found it slow and his timeline was too scattered. I also think Chris McCandless was inept and unprepared and shouldn't have been out there in the first place. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
interesting story of such a short life. i didn't think i'd like to hear krakauer's insertion of his own story, but it fit well. i especially appreciated the way he framed the adventurous spirit that he had when he was chris mccandless' age, and how it wasn't maybe as foolhardy or unlikely as it might seem to a middle-aged urbanite.

while it seemed ridiculous that he could actually survive a trip like he'd planned, the truth is that he came incredibly close to doing just that, and probably would have if not for a few unlucky turns of events. had he made it out, people would have thought he was a hero. which maybe shows how fine the line is between heroism and idiocy?

usually when i read books like this it makes me want to, at least a little, get out there and do something adventurous in the outdoors. not this time. maybe i'm just older but the living he describes - both in his trekking around the country first and in his "living off the land" in alaska - sound just terrible to me. although i do understand the desire to get away from all the stuff that ties us down in our everyday lives. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Feb 11, 2020 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,478,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible