Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Into the wild by Jon Krakauer

Into the wild (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Jon Krakauer

13,733371271 (3.89)1 / 366
Member:sdeichsel
Title:Into the wild
Authors:Jon Krakauer
Info:New York : Anchor Books, 1997.
Tags:to-read, goodreads

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (1996)

Walden by Henry David Thoreau (arztriper)
    Walden & On the Duty of Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (thiagobomfim)
    thiagobomfim: That is a history of a boy inspired by Thoreau and his masterpiece: Wladen.
    Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains by Jon Krakauer (Ronoc)
    The Grizzly Maze: Timothy Treadwell's Fatal Obsession with Alaskan Bears by Nick Jans (stephmo)
    stephmo: Both books deal with idealists and end in Alaska. Both stories present a certain mythology available only from the Alaskan wilderness.
    Sukkwan Island by David Vann (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Il peut paraître étrange de rapprocher ces deux livres. Pourtant ils sont entrés en résonance lorsque je les ai lus à un an d’intervalle. Tous les deux sont sombres puisqu’il y est question de mort, et tous les deux ont pour fond la beauté rude des paysages glacials de l’Alaska. C’est cette confrontation fatale entre le blanc de la neige et le noir de la mort qui m’a saisie dans ces deux livres, même si les raisons qui sous-tendent ces deux quêtes vers les paysages du Grand Nord sont (à première vue) sans point commun.… (more)
    The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by W. H. Davies (Polaris-)
    Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer by David Roberts (amyblue, bluepiano)
    amyblue: Both books attempt to solve the mystery of how a young man disappeared in the wilderness on a quest for beauty and an authentic life.
    bluepiano: Another young Yank who died in the wilderness whilst on a impassioned and private quest.
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (Graphirus)
    The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed by John Vaillant (Anonymous user)
    Cold Burial: A True Story of Endurance and Disaster by Clive Powell-Williams (bluetongue)
    Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer (sturlington)
    Drop City by T. C. Boyle (suniru)
    Scenes in America Deserta by Reyner Banham (nilsr)
    American Nomads: Travels with Lost Conquistadors, Mountain Men, Cowboys, Indians, Hoboes, Truckers, and Bullriders by Richard Grant (cwflatt)
    Hunger by Knut Hamsun (nilsr)
    Off the Map by Hib (Anonymous user)
    Arctic Daughter: A Wilderness Journey by Jean Aspen (suniru)
    On the Road by Jack Kerouac (thiagobomfim)

English (347)  Italian (6)  German (4)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (370)
Back in 1990, Christopher McCandless decided to go off the map and live the life of a rugged individualist. He traveled the country in his little Datsun B210 until he drove into an area that became inundated with water and ruined the battery. Following that, he traveled on foot, meeting many people and charming them as well. McCandless styled himself Alexander Supertramp, and gave the name Alex to many people. In his Journal, he referred to himself in the third person. He didn't tell his family, and they didn't know about his journey until his decomposing corpse was found in Alaska two years later.

From what I can discern, McCandless followed the beat of his own drum. This tragic and short life story was put into this book. Following the last years of his life, we find that he was charmed by the beauty and wildness of nature. I don't even know what he would have done had he made it back. Maybe McCandless would have become an author. However, McCandless didn't seem to like society as a whole. He burned all of his money and lived out of a backpack. So... I don't really understand this guy.

Back when I first read some books with ideas that moved me, I was young enough to believe that this stuff was the truth, or at least not terribly skewed. Still, despite the fact that he lived the life of a transient, he died doing something he wanted I guess. Not the starving part, but you know, going at it alone and being one with nature.

I suppose that is what makes his story so fascinating. Many people go and think of doing things, but this guy actually went and did them. I mean, he canoed down the Colorado River, thinking he could make it to the Ocean. I don't know what he would do in the Ocean, maybe head to Mexico or the Panama Canal or something.

The book includes a map that displays his journey, personal accounts of his life from a number of people, and stories of other people that lived life off the grid. A lot of them were weird or mentally disturbed, but I don't know.

Anyway, the book was really good. I personally would not have done any of the things McCandless did. I don't even highlight my books. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Into the Wild is a well written book based on the true story of a young adult of an affluent family and his rejection of material things. His rebellion against his family and their lifestyle led him on an adventure culminating in his achieving his greatest desire, to brave the Alaskan wilderness... alone! A great fan of Jack London, he wanted to live the adventures found in Mr. London's novels.

Personally, I found myself irritated with the character of Christopher / Alex. I found him selfish and irresponsible. The fact that the story is true made it even more exasperating to me. I would have liked to have slapped him in the back of the head a few times! I was actually annoyed with the person who recommended the book to me after I was through with it, but I have to concede that it is a good book. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
As a former journalist-wannabe I’m so impressed with Jon Krakauer. Especially when you read the epilogue and learn the extent he went to to determine how Chris McCandless died. Journalists like Krakauer are heroes and the world needs more of them. They should be celebrated for their tenacity and bravery! ( )
  KarenMonsen | May 30, 2019 |
In thought, Christopher McCandless/Alexander Supertramp's idea of donating all your money to charities, and running off to the wilds of Alaska, sounds like a plausible idea. In reality, for him it was a foolish way to go. The people he met on the way to Alaska all considered him a friend and thought he was a way cool dude.

Imagine how his life would have turned out, if he had been prepared for the elements and had some provisions. ( )
  Tuke15 | Feb 2, 2019 |
Jon Krakauer's classic account of a gifted young man who chose literally to walk away from his life. By examining the true story of Chris McCandless, a young man who, in 1992, walked deep into the Alaskan wilderness and whose SOS note and emaciated corpse were found four months later. SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 29, 2019 |
Christopher McCandless's life and his death may have been meaningless, absurd, even reprehensible, but by the end of "Into the Wild," you care for him deeply.

Mr. Krakauer has taken the tale of a kook who went into the woods, and made of it a heart-rending drama of human yearning.

Krakauer, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrari, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Franklin, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palma, Maria HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Pedro MaiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zung, SabrinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Linda
Jim Gallien had driven four miles out of Fairbanks when he spotted the hitchhiker standing in the snow beside the road, thumb raised high, shivering in the gray Alaska dawn.
The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307387178, Paperback)

What would possess a gifted young man recently graduated from college to literally walk away from his life? Noted outdoor writer and mountaineer Jon Krakauer tackles that question in his reporting on Chris McCandless, whose emaciated body was found in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness in 1992.

Described by friends and relatives as smart, literate, compassionate, and funny, did McCandless simply read too much Thoreau and Jack London and lose sight of the dangers of heading into the wilderness alone? Krakauer, whose own adventures have taken him to the perilous heights of Everest, provides some answers by exploring the pull the outdoors, seductive yet often dangerous, has had on his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible