Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder (edition 2012)

by R. J. Palacio (Author)

Series: Wonder (1)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)
Member:samw.b2
Title:Wonder
Authors:R. J. Palacio (Author)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, 320 pages

Work Information

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Sam: The Boy Behind The Mask by Tom Hallman (dara85)
    dara85: True story of boy with facial deformity.
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (1,144)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  German (4)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,168)
This book deserves more than I can write. It's not an adult book, but I read it anyway. I loved it. It was funny and tearful and sometimes it made me really mad. It was great. There is more to the series so read on. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
Great book for children and adults. ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |
Amazing book, told from various perspectives, which reminded me that we never know the whole story. I am about as sarcastic and cynical as they come, but this book made me want to be a little softer toward people. Several close calls on crying as I read, but gave up the fight on page 204: "the universe takes care of all its birds." So glad I fell victim to the Twitter-English-Teacher-peer-pressure and read this book before school started. Going to copy several of them and read this aloud to my juniors this year. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
Heartfelt and sincere, this story presents a good portrayal of how it must feel like to have a facial disfigurement. I could have done without all the different points of view, which tended to stall the story's flow. I would have liked to read it linearly, with those points of view intertwined. But the book did affect me and the ending is satisfying. ( )
  lee.gabel | Dec 22, 2021 |
This was a wonderful book to read, and it made my heart full and eyes water throughout most of it. August is a great character to follow, and for a ten year old, he has been forced to grow up far quicker than his peers. While the changing viewpoints were off putting, I liked the added scope they contributed to the story, and I loved how the theme was to be kinder than necessary. Middle school AND high school, and to be frank - adult life- is tough. This book highlighted the challenges in all their glory and it was something I think everyone can relate to. Would love to see this in schools and for young kids to read, and definitely recommend it to those who enjoy a quick, satisfying read! ( )
  katprohas | Dec 16, 2021 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carpenter, TadCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,168,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible