Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder (edition 2012)

by R. J. Palacio (Author)

Series: Wonder (1)

Member:AsiaWashington
Title:Wonder
Authors:R. J. Palacio (Author)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, 320 pages
Collections:5th-6th Grade Readers, 3rd-4th Grade Readers, Traditional Literature, Realistic Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:disorders, kindness, Love, respect, novel, good-read, american

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (967)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (991)
Auggie Pullman is a great character that students who feel like they are "different" can relate to. He is a character that is easily loved by a reader. He is a bullied student who always tends to find the positive in situations which makes him a "wonder". I think this book is fantastic to show diversity and that not everyone is the same. But just because not everyone looks the same doesn't mean they are any less. It shows a new perspective on resilience and difference. I think students who feel like they are unique or different come find the book easily relatable. This realistic fictional chapter book, I would recommend upper elementary school to early middle school. If your looking for a great book that represents disabilities and acts of kindness I would put this book in your classroom. ( )
  gnicho2 | Mar 22, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. Fresh perspective, good writing style, easy, quick read. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
This book has a great message in it. It teachers readers about morals, diversity, and individuality. This book shows readers that it is okay that everyone is different and we should not be judge on our differences. This would be a great book to study in a middle grade classroom because it teachers students to not judge a book by its cover and to accept individuality and differences. ( )
  efairman4 | Mar 17, 2019 |
This book was one of my favorite books I have ever read. I really enjoyed this book for a lot of different reasons. One reason I enjoyed this book Is the message/moral behind the novel. The author wanted the readers to walk away with knowing that everyone deserves fair, kind, and loving treatment. The main character Auggie had a disorder that caused the features on his face to be dis-proportione or not fully developed. Thus, causing many people to shun and frown in dismay towards him. Throughout the story, the readers will witness the young boy gain a bunch of friends and respect through the same breath of getting bullied. Another reason I like this book is the different perspectives the author wrote the book in. This book, just as any book, has multiple characters. The book tells the same story from many perspectives. This is cool because all the characters use different vocabulary, have their own personality, and see the entire world differently. For example, I thought it was cool that the author had the character Justin’s section written in all lower-case letters with no quotations. Although, it was difficult to read. The overall big idea of the book was that we must treat everyone out of kindness of our hearts. It was interesting to see and, in a way, feel exactly what Auggie was going through. This book has and will help a lot of its readers to treat people that are different with respect. ( )
  AsiaWashington | Mar 14, 2019 |
This book is about a boy who is perfectly normal, but he looks a bit different just because of his face. He was born unique yet the other kids do not understand and pick on him for it. Throughout the book, he faces challenges, but with the help of his family, he gets through it. This is a very inspirational book and can help other kids realize that it is okay to be different. You can still achieve your goals no matter what. I rate this 4 out of 5 because it is inspiring. ( )
  verocruz | Mar 11, 2019 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375869026, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month for Kids, February 2012: Wonder is a rare gem of a novel--beautifully written and populated by characters who linger in your memory and heart. August Pullman is a 10-year-old boy who likes Star Wars and Xbox, ordinary except for his jarring facial anomalies. Homeschooled all his life, August heads to public school for fifth grade and he is not the only one changed by the experience--something we learn about first-hand through the narratives of those who orbit his world. August’s internal dialogue and interactions with students and family ring true, and though remarkably courageous he comes across as a sweet, funny boy who wants the same things others want: friendship, understanding, and the freedom to be himself. “It is only with one’s heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” From The Little Prince and R.J. Palacio’s remarkable novel, Wonder.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:57 -0400)

Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible