Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Wonder (edition 2012)

by R. J. Palacio (Author)

Series: Wonder (1)

10,2001163538 (4.48)301
Ten-year-old Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring the taunting and fear of his classmates as he struggles to be seen as just another student.… (more)
Member:SMASNLearningCommons
Title:Wonder
Authors:R. J. Palacio (Author)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: 1, 320 pages

Work Information

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (FFortuna)
    Firegirl by Tony Abbott (kaledrina)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Both stories involve a highly-challenged child with a supportive family and friends. The girl in Out of My Mind has cerebral palsy.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Alexandra.Moraiti)
    Alexandra.Moraiti: They are both well written compassionate, funny and humane books. Although Wonder isn't about a boy with a disability , both books tell the story of two individuals that manage the socially imposed difficulties of their 'conditions'. The narration in both is in first person in Wonder by August Pullman(Auggie ), his friends and family, and in The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-time by Christopher Boone, a boy with Asperger's Syndrome.… (more)
    Rules by Cynthia Lord (bell7)
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (bookel)
    Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Kristy's Courage by Babbis Friis (bookel)
    Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman (FFortuna)
    Sam: The Boy Behind The Mask by Tom Hallman (dara85)
    dara85: True story of boy with facial deformity.
    If at Birth You Don't Succeed: My Adventures with Disaster and Destiny by Zach Anner (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: Success beyond physics with personality.
    Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are similarly moving stories about approaching difficult issues with kindness and compassion.
    So Much to Tell You by John Marsden (bookel)

English (1,140)  Catalan (7)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,163)
RJ Palacio’s Wonder is an age-appropriate novel about a student with disabilities and the bullying they sometimes endure. Told from Auggie’s point of view, the story soon switches to include the perspectives of his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. This novel is about empathy, kindness and acceptance, but at the same time this book shows the cruelty and division that occurs from bullying. ( )
  Pgt003 | Nov 20, 2021 |
Wonder is the story of a young boy, Auggie, born with a facial abnormality that effected the way the bones developed. Due to the many surgeries he needed in his childhood he was homeschooled, but he was enrolled in public school for the first time in 5th grade. Will the other kids accept him since he looks different? This book tells the story of how he navigates life and school, bullying and friendship. It doesn’t just focus on Auggie’s struggles, but it also tells the story from the point of view of his parents, his sister, and some other very interesting people in his life. This is a great book for students to read to learn about acceptance and inclusion. There was also a movie adaptation, but of course the book is better! ( )
  sarahwalker1028 | Nov 19, 2021 |
No matter how old you are, I would recommend this book to anyone. This book teaches very important lessons on accepting different people and not treating people badly just because they are different. Auggie, who looks different than everyone else, attends a public school for the first time. He is constantly ridiculed until he finds a good group of friends. This is also a very cheerful book because it makes the readers feel happy at the end when Auggie finds happiness. ( )
  Jilliangoldman | Nov 4, 2021 |
Book 273. Knit and crochet patterns.
  BLTSbraille | Nov 4, 2021 |
“Wonder” was a perfect elementary school read for me that helped me understand bullying and that not everyone is the same. The heartwarming story of 10-year-old August Pullman who has had many facial surgeries helps you understand how it really makes kids feel when getting bullied in schools and that you need to accept people for who they really are. ( )
  ekirchner14 | Nov 3, 2021 |
Dieses Buch begeistert alle Altersgruppen. Das oft genutzte Motiv, dass es auf die inneren Werte ankommt, wird hier neu und ohne mahnenden Zeigefinger umgesetzt. Durch wechselnde Perspektiven kann der Leser nicht nur die Gefühle und Handlungen Auggies, sondern auch die seines Umfeldes verstehen. Der Leser entwickelt sich mit den sympathischen Charakteren. Die flüssige Sprache und die zahlreichen Details lassen die Geschichte persönlich und lebensnah wirken. Der Roman berührt den Leser und regt zum Nachdenken an.

R. J. Palacioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carpenter, TadCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doctors have come from distant cities/just to see me/stand over my bed/disbelieving what they're seeing,
They say I must be one of the wonders/of god's own creation/and as far as they can see they can offer/no explanation
-Natalie Marchant, "Wonder"
For Russell, Caleb, and Joseph
I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid.
Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
Mr. Browne's Precepts: September - When given the choice between being righ or being kind, choose kind. -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
February - It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. -James Thurber
March - Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. -Blaise Pascal
May - Do all the good you can,/By all the means you can,/In all the ways you can,/In all the places you can,/At all the times you can,/To all the people you can,/As long as you ever can. -John Wesley's Rule
Shall we make a new rule of life...always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary? -J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird
"Kinder than is necessary," he [Mr. Tushman] repeated. What a marvelous line, isn't it? Kinder than is necesary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed. Why I love that line, that concept, is that it reminds me that we carry with us, as human beings, not just the capacity to be kind, but the very choice of knindness. -Palacio, p. 300
... Joseph recognized the face of God in human form. It glimmered in their kindness to him, it glowed in their keenness, it hinted in their caring, ideed it caressed in their gaze. - Christopher Nolan, Under the Eye of the Clock
"It glimmered in their kindness to him ... Such a simple thing, kindness. Such a simple thing. A nice word of encouragment given when needed. An act of friendship. A passing smile." -Palacio, p. 300.
It's like how compass needles always point north, no matter which way you're facing. All those eyes are compasses, and I'm like the North Pole to them. [Auggie, 206]
I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives. [Auggie, 231]

Plot Summary: Auggie Pullman, who was born with extreme facial abnormalities and was not expected to survive, goes from being home-schooled to entering fifth grade at a private middle school in Manhattan, which entails enduring and overcoming the taunts of his classmates.

Extensions: acceptance, perseverance
Menino com rosto
de quem todos fugia
brilha a luz do dia

(juliocutrim)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,404,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible