The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk…

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Kady Cross (Author)

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade ; the dangerous device Jasper stole from him for the life of the girl Jasper loves. One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens. From the rough streets of lower Manhattan to elegant Fifth Avenue, the motley crew of teens with supernatural abilities is on Jasper's elusive trail. And they're about to discover how far they'll go for friendship.… (more)
Member:JeanetteReames
Title:The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles)
Authors:Kady Cross (Author)
Info:Harlequin Teen (2013), Edition: Original, 368 pages

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

The characters and their special skills are my favorite part of these books. This installment just wasn't as interesting to me story-wise as the first book though. I'm curious to read the next one, and I'm hoping it will be a bit less predictable.

To be fair, this book may be suffering by comparison since I recently read [b:The Friday Society|5623269|The Friday Society|Adrienne Kress|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337751850s/5623269.jpg|5794664], a really fun steampunk YA featuring a particularly awesome Asian character. From the cover of this book, I think I was hoping to meet someone like Michiko, who subverts some stereotypes. Mei wasn't a terrible character, but I wasn't much of a fan of the way her story played out.

The other small issue I'm having with this series is the repetition. For example, Emily's "ropey" hair is referred to SO MANY TIMES. To be honest, until I read someone else's review where they discussed her dreadlocks, I was convinced that "ropes of hair" was some steampunk phrase for "curls." Anyway. When observations about characters don't really move the story forward or add anything new, it can get a bit grating. Perhaps book three will be better on this front? ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
This second book in the series follows immediately after the first, plot-wise. The major plot point dropped right at the end of The Girl in the Steel Corset – Jasper Renn being dragged off to America to stand trial for murder – is the central point behind this book. The main quartet from the first book (Finley, Griffin, Emily, and Sam) all travel to New York to locate Jasper and figure out if he is, in fact, guilty of the murder he’s been arrested for.

Over the course of their investigations, the four get into more trouble. Naturally. Most of that trouble is focused either on Finley or Griffin, which also makes sense as they seem to be the lead couple in the series.

Speaking of them as a couple – there is a little more progress on that front in this novel, too. At the very least, they both seem to have come to some decisions as to what they want out of it. Though, when you come down to it, there is no real competition for Finley’s attention in this book the way there was in the first one. It will be interesting to see the relationship develop once Jack Dandy is back in the picture.

In some respects I like this book more than the first in the series. The main four characters are all working together (mostly) in this one, rather than being at odds the way they were in the first. The relationships between them are developing, and I don’t mean just the romantic relationships. Parts of the plot are a bit more far-fetched, though, and the first book did have the charm of being the first in this particular world. In any case, I’m really looking forward to getting the third book when it comes out so I can see what comes next. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Can I just say how much I love the steampunk aspect of this series? I think my favorite part is how seamlessly Kady Cross weaves the steampunkiness into what could easily be Victorian times and makes it feel like this is the way history happened and that it all exists. I find myself wanting to look up you tube videos and watch the dirigibles parking on top of the Empire State Building! For the setting alone, this book gets an A . Fortunately, Cross didn't just build a super cool word. The story is pretty good too. Oh, and I love the characters. I wish Finley and Emily were among my group of friends and I would completely fall in love with Griffin. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Jasper Renn, one of Finley's found family, is in trouble and he needs their help. In New York City. In order to help Jasper--and his ex-girlfriend Mei--Finley must convince a dangerous gang that she's betrayed her friends. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
It didn't take long for me to get swept up in the adventure. Kady Cross surprised me. I found myself enjoying her mature, responsible teen characters who showed only a touch of teenage rebellion at the most appropriate moments. Her easy-reading style of writing kept me turning page after page as I journeyed with this band of misfits to destroy Reno Dalton's evil plan and rescue their friend Jasper from his clutches.

Read the full review here:
http://www.kees2create.com/blog/2012/07/10/Book-Review-The-Girl-in-the-Clockwork... ( )
  juanita.kees | Sep 9, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,043,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible