Giants Beware! by Jorge Aguirre
1991787,288 (3.74)3

The first adventure of Claudette, wannabe hero and giant-slayer. I love these books, their art is great and the humor is for all ages with some great asides for older readers. Her brother who loves to bake and her best friend princess-wannabe Marie, not to mention the pug dog Valiant, are noble and entertaining sidekick characters. ( )
  GoldieBug | Jan 23, 2019 |
This book is for the upper levels. This book is about a little girl who convinces her little brother and her friend to join in her the giant slaying. On this quest they have many challenges but in the end what they find is not what they were expecting. This book is full of wonderful illustrations. ( )
  dsw021 | Apr 30, 2017 |
Summary
Claudette, the spunky young daughter of the town blacksmith, is convinced that the giant the town's walls have been built to protect against must be conquered. After convincing her brother and the Marquis’ daughter to join her, they set out on a quest to find and defeat the baby-feet loving giant, as pitchfork wielding townsfolk follow closely behind. Fairy-tale hijinks ensue as our small band of heroes encounters obstacles along the way, eventually leading to Claudette’s biggest obstacle of all - her own fear.
Personal Response
Aguirre immediately draws us into the story with images of the vicious baby-feet loving giant. And it is difficult not to be a fan of Claudette, who has the confidence of a small army and a tiny wooden sword that may or may not have special powers. With fantastic imagery and a well-spun story-line, Giants Beware can be enjoyed by readers of all ages.
Curriculum Connection
Giants Beware could be used in a lesson about dealing with our own fears. It would also be useful in lesson about identifying defining moments in a story. ( )
  smoel14 | Apr 9, 2017 |
I have been wanting to read this for some time and saw it at my local Half Price Books and immediately bought it. This was a laugh-out-loud funny fantasy graphic novel aimed at the middle grade age group.

This is just a super cute and funny little graphic novel. The illustration is in bright full color and the style is very cartoony; it fits the tone of the story perfectly.

Claudette basically cons her best friend (who aspires to be a professional princess) and her little brother (who wants to be a professional pastry chef that designs swords on the side) into coming on a giant slaying quest with her. The quest is not without perils and what Claudette and her friends find at the end of it is not at all what they expect.

This story deals with issues of friendship, disabilities, and society’s expectations of how things should and shouldn’t be.

Overall this was a great book. It’s a very humorous story that is still cute and heartfelt. I think readers of all ages will enjoy it. I would especially recommend to readers who love humorous fantasy graphic novels. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 29, 2016 |
Fun! ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |

Jorge Aguirreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosado, Rafaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
He was the most evil creature ever to set foot in the valley ... a depraved monster that took joy in terrorizing our beloved town of Mont Petit Pierre.

Claudette wants nothing more than to slay a giant but her little village is too safe and quiet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,536,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible