Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy

Hemlock Grove (edition 2013)

by Brian McGreevy (Author)

"An epic, original reinvention of the Gothic novel, taking the characters of our greatest novels, myths, and nightmares - the werewolf, the vampire, Frankenstein - and reimagining them for our time"--
Member:DeboraNunes
Title:Hemlock Grove
Authors:Brian McGreevy (Author)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read, Read but unowned, BDI, 2015
Rating:*
Tags:supernatural, vampires, werewolves, awful, high school, teenagers

Hemlock Grove: A Novel by Brian McGreevy

A wonderful read. Love his style, very unique! ( )
  Charlotte_Kinzie | Jun 20, 2019 |
This book was great. Fantastic. Gothic. ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
[b:Hemlock Grove|12510849|Hemlock Grove|Brian McGreevy|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366581229s/12510849.jpg|17496592] was interesting. Inside the book are a number of excellent premises that never end up converging or becoming fully formed. The book is a mishmash of excellent ideas that just never follow through. It's frustrating, sitting back and watching the story attempt to be more than it is. Unfortunately, the series (or the first season, as I've not seen the second) is much the same.

If you're reading the book in hopes of discovering more about the series, just stop. It doesn't elaborate, and the series is a near direct adaptation of the book straight down to the script. Nothing is shown more clearly than it is in the adaptation.

I'd like there to be more here, I'd like the book to have been more readable or the perspectives more apparent than constantly shifting. It just wasn't the case with it, though. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy is the story of Peter Rumancek, Roman Godfrey and the terrible events that take place in the small fictional town of Hemlock Groves, Pennsylvania. It all begins when a young girl is found dead in a park. She has been murdered in the most gruesome way and no one really knows if the monster that did it is human or animal. Peter and Roman two completely different people, one a gypsy and the other an heir to a family fortune, come together to make sense of what is going on. Setting their differences aside they set out to find the murderer and clear Peters name in the process.

First of all, let me start by saying this novel is not for everyone. It has its moments. If you do not like gory and detailed scenes then look away: because Hemlock Grove has them all. From the start of the book I was hooked. I was pulled in by the dark humor and style of this novel. The writing style was simple yet shockingly mystifying. It draws the reader in with its dark and horrific imagination. I will never forget this one scene where Peter is turning into a wolf. It is something that you read and it stays with you long after you are done with it. It is clear that the TV series is a faithful adaptation. If you were like me who discovered the book after watching the series, you will see the action playing In your mind just like the series. But it might get a little boring as you already know what will happen. I can only imagine what it would have been like to read the book first and experience the magic for the first time. If you have read the book only, let me tell you now, the show is an amazingly good adaptation. After reading the book I’ve seen that the show took those words and just transplanted them onto the screen. The characters are simply wonderful. They had a lot of depth and conflict in them. They were so terribly human even when they were at their worst and they let their monsters show. I would say that Roman is my favorite character from Hemlock Grove. There is just something so sad about him. I can’t help but be attracted to his personality. I loved the dynamic between Roman and Peter. They looked past their monsters, or well better yet their monsters came together and made a great team. This book is simply amazing. I recommend this novel for fans of the show and of horror and supernatural genres.

Rating: 3.7 out of 5 stars. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
Probably a 3.5. I liked this book. There were times where I got a bit lost (probably too many for me to ignore, thus 3.5 instead of 4 stars) but the writing was pretty quirky and strange, and I'm all about that. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
Too much of the animal disfigures the civilized human being, too much culture makes a sick animal. -- C.G. Jung
Hemlock growth is usually accompanied by a "black run." This is a stream of unusual darkness in color caused by the slow decay of hemlock needles and other plant material. Periodically, high water will flush these streams and the darkening process will begin again. -- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation
To Mom and to Domenica: the perennial dichotomy
The lone wolf howls to rejoin the pack from which he is separated.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,169,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible