The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

The Screwtape Letters (original 1942; edition 2015)

by C. S. Lewis (Author)

In this humorous and perceptive exchange between two devils, Lewis delves into moral questions about good vs. evil, temptation, repentance, and grace.--From publisher description.
Member:dharding
Title:The Screwtape Letters
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2015), Edition: Reprint, 209 pages

The Screwtape Letters (with Screwtape Proposes a Toast) by C. S. Lewis (1942)

English (133)  Italian (1)  All languages (134)
yuck. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Boring. Boring and moralistic. Boring and moralistic and designed to help us improve ourselves. ( )
  jscape2000 | Jul 20, 2019 |
Rather entertaining and quite short, this book is a series of missives from a devil to his nephew concerning the soul of the nephew's "patient." The nephew, whose name is Wormwood, tries to beguile a young man to sin and eternal damnation. The problem is that he is pretty new to the task and isn't very good at it. So he sends letters to his uncle, named Screwtape, whose eponymous letters of response make up the book. Throughout the letters, we find how devils get us to sin and other such things. Most of the information we get is through Screwtape's letters so none of the data we have on them is direct. We know several things about "the patient." He is male, lives with his mother, falls back into faith after being out for a while, lives in England during the outbreak of WWII, enjoys reading, likes tea, and other such trifles. Then he falls in love. This is the beginning of the end for his being tempted since the girl he falls in love with is a devout Christian. One weird part happens after Screwtape finds out that "the patient" has fallen in love; for some reason, Screwtape is transformed into a giant Centipede and can no longer write. I didn't understand why he was turned into a giant Centipede, and I don't know what turned him into a centipede. I must have missed it, but it seemed that either God did it or Satan did it and both options raise questions. Oh well.

So the book is well done and I enjoyed it. It didn't change my mindset on faith, but it did force me to ask some uncomfortable questions, I guess. I mean, I am basically a good person; I pay my taxes, I don't commit horrible crimes, I follow a moral code. I just don't believe in a personal God. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
Writing: 4.5; Theme: 5.0; Content: 5.0; Language: 5.0; Very interesting concept where one evil angel (demon) who converses with another lower angel; this volume shares a "possible" scenario of what conversation may consist of in the demon underworld. Highly recommend. ***September 8, 2017*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | May 3, 2019 |
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis offers a creative way to look at forces that may be at work, or things that we do, that chip away at our faith. In this fictional book, Screwtape, a senior demon, writes 31 advice letters to his novice demon nephew. The nephew, Wormwood, is trying to secure the damnation of a man referred to as “the patient.” God is referred to as the “Enemy.” As Screwtape gives suggestions to Wormwood, we get a glimpse into what things in our own lives may be taking us away from God. For example, Screwtape tells Wormwood that theological “jargon is your best ally in keeping the patient from the Church.” We also realize what things may help us connect with God, such as fun, since it “promotes charity, courage, contentment and many other evils,” in the demon Wormwood’s view.
-Cindy Lovell, May, 2015
  CovenantPresMadison | Feb 24, 2019 |
Clive Staples Lewis (1898-1963), hoogleraar literatuurgeschiedenis, schrijver van kinderboeken (de Narnia-verhalen) en apologeet van het christelijk geloof, heeft grote naam gemaakt met zijn 'Brieven uit de hel', waarin oom Schroeflik tegenover zijn neef de waarheden van het christelijk geloof omdraait en ze beschrijft als belemmeringen voor inlijving in het rijk van de duivel. Op paradoxale wijze en in een stijl die nog niets van zijn levendigheid heeft verloren, wordt hier een klassiek geworden apologie van het christelijk geloof gegeven. Toegevoegd is 'Schroeflik heft het glas'. Het nawoord en de aantekeningen zijn van de vertaler. De laatste vertaling dateerde uit 1947; deze vertaling is uit 2002 en sluit dus beter aan bij het hedendaagse taalgebruik. Paperback; normale druk.

Redactie
added by karnoefel | editBiblion recensie via Bol.com

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schreuder, J.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
-- Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
--Thomas More
To J.R.R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your Patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that omits Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Please note that some works titled simply "The Screwtape Letters" also contain "Screwtape Proposes a Toast". If your edition is combined here and should not be then please be certain to check and, if need be, correct your ISBN before separating. The following ISBNs are of editions titled "The Screwtape Letters" but known to also contain "Screwtape Proposes a Toast":
  • 0060652896
  • 0060652934
  • 0684831171
  • 0805420401

"Our war aim is a world in which Our Father Below has drawn all other beings into himself; the Enemy wants a world full of begins united to Him but still distinct."

Thus is the eternal war for the soul of man explained by Screwtape, a professional devil and  self-described undersecretary of the department of temptation. His brilliantly conceived letters to his nephew Wormwood - a "junior temptor" - sparkle with the suavity of satanic logic and resound with the lofty, near cynical humor which invaluable accompanies a deep-sated knowledge of the human psych.

The Screwtape Letters gradually unfolds as  series of explicit directions adn plans through which Wormwood - may subvert and twist human soul to his own diabolical ends. Fascinating in its cunning and incredibly acute awareness of the flaws and foibles of man, this small masterpiece had been by millions since C S Lewis wrote the first letter for a newspaper during World War Two.
Dearest Diablo,
Hope this letter finds you well.
Your servant, Screwtape.
(LeBoeuf)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,722,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible