The Archived (2013)

by Victoria Schwab

Series: The Archived (1)

"When an otherworldly library called the Archive is compromised from within, sixteen-year-old Mackenzie Bishop must prevent violent, ghost-like Histories from escaping into our world"--

This was great. The characters were believable, and the plot was fast paced. I want to know more about the world!! ( )
  Abiquail | Apr 24, 2021 |
4.5* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
As a legit archivist I felt duty-bound to read this book. Unfortunately, I was a bit bothered by the author's use of an archive as her main setting. Not about the fact that it's an archive of basically dead bodies (referred to as Histories, which record the lives of people, which is pretty neat), but by the fact that the people running the Archives are referred to as Librarians. Like Archivists aren't entities on their own terms. The entire time I was waiting for some higher level operatives to show up who would reveal themselves to be Archivists! And including a Special Collections within the Archives? That's just sloppy, since Archives are entirely special collections, and the term "special collections" is generally used by the information profession in general to designate archival collections (ie restricted collections of historical/special materials) within libraries.

That being said, the premise of the story is quite interesting. The protagonist Mackenzie/Mac is a feisty young girl, and I quite enjoyed her interactions with the Librarians and her fellow Keepers. She is clearly hurting from the loss of her younger brother, and dealing with issues with her parents, but she has some interesting role models among the Librarians who seem to be trying to give her the needed responsibility to grow up into a relatively well-functioning adult. Meeting another Keeper close to her own age, Wesley, was a good touch, even though it was kind of a predictable romance ploy for teenaged readers - will they won't they hook up/stay friends in a time trusted method for keeping readers engaged outside of the main plot.

The concept of the Archive holding what is essentially "living" history is what made this book the most interesting, honestly. As an Archivist, having the potential to see history through a person's experiences in the way that the Librarians can (as well as the Keepers with inanimate objects) is one which I'm sure most modern historians and archivists would absolutely love. Nothing is truer than a person's individual experiences, and all we get as primary sources are things like photographs, diaries, and if we're lucky oral histories. To be able to see through their eyes, and witness the exact events of their lives would be a truly interactive way to experience history. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Enjoyable enough. Very YA but I enjoyed more than some YA recently. Loved the concept. Have borrowed the second book so should read that soon. ( )
  infjsarah | Feb 12, 2021 |
Took me a little while to get sucked into the story, but I eventually did and it was worth it. I really liked the world behind the world that Schwab created. ( )
  jblopez | Jul 31, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,418,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible