The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

The Second Sex (original 1949; edition 1989)

by Simone de Beauvoir

Member:RevolutionBooks
Title:The Second Sex
Authors:Simone de Beauvoir
Info:Vintage (1989), Paperback, 800 pages
Tags:Women and Gender

The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir (1949)

English (25)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (26)
In The Second Sex Simone de Beauvoir attempts to define the mystery that is a woman, and she does an incredible job of that. Beauvoir goes over the history of women in the ideas that they represent and how they are represented in society. We are shown in various forms the dichotomy that woman seems to represent. A woman can be either Eve or the Virgin Mary, and for that, she is alternately repulsed and glorified. We put her on a pedestal while enslaving her to our whims at the same time. She can be a representation of life itself or of death. Some writers remember that she is made of flesh and call it disgusting that she has the necessities that it entails. In that sense, it was uncomfortable reading. On the other hand, it was really fascinating and engrossing.

The book is slightly outdated in the sense that it was written in 1949 and translated into English in 1953. So it missed the Feminist Revolution of the 1970s. However, Beauvoir lived to the ripe time of 1986 and in that she might have had some opinions on it. Also, I have heard that the translation that I have obtained is not that good, but that did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. It is easy enough to understand her position and thesis without a completely faithful translation. Although it would be interesting to read it in the original French, it would probably take really long since I would have to know French. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I've given up on this. The biology and development of culture that start the book as a base for the rest of it are just so outdated that I can't stand it.
  MarthaJeanne | Apr 25, 2016 |
I read this book back in 2012. I have used this book as a reference in essays for my English and Sociology classes when I was an undergraduate student in Education. It is insightful on many accounts since it tells about how things used to be - and some continue to be - for women. Back when I picked it up, I was quite into feminism and all for sticking it to the man etc... The more I learned about De Beauvoir, the less I was impressed by her. I am no fan of her unhealthy relationship with Sartre, too à-la-Osho for my taste. But that is besides the point. Back to this book, some passages were a bit like a rant, so I skimmed through and felt annoyed. This quote is one that I absolutely love:
'One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.'
  pathogenik | Feb 18, 2016 |
FINALLY, I finished it. This book seemed to take forever and I'm so glad I finished it. I was pretty much skim reading it by the end of it.
It was a really interesting book and that's why I gave it 4/5 stars. The writing was really good and I was really captivated in the subject. It seemed to ramble on but I think that is just because it had so much to cover. I'm not really one for non-fiction so that is why to took me so long to read and why it felt tedious.
Overall, really interesting book. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
Overall, really interesting book. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |

Simone de Beauvoirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parshley, H. M.Translatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borde, ConstanceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crosland, MargaretIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malovany-Chevallier, SheilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woman?
This is the abridged English translation by H. M. Parshley, which omits parts of the original work. Do not combine it with the complete and unabridged English translation, first published in 2010, or with complete versions in other languages.
(If your copy of the book is *not* the Parshley edition, but is mixed up in this one, please modify the title or ISBN of your catalog record, so that your edition can be found and properly separated.)
    SIMONE DE BEAUVOIR

born in Paris and educated at the Sorbonne, stands at the center of the French Existentialist movement along with her close companion, Jean-Paul Sartre.

She has devoted her life to writing - producing novels, plays, travel books and essays. Simone de Beauvoir has explored every aspect of femininity - sexual, social, biological, even historical.
The Second Sex is a total picture of what she has learned, observed, and thought.

Written in French, Translated and published in principal languages throughout the world, The Second Sex is the most penetrating, frank, and inmate book ever written about Woman.

Woman's past and contemporary situation in Western culture is the focus of a detailed and uninhibited analysis of womanhood

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,650,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible