Shadow's Claim (2012)

by Kresley Cole

Series: Dacians (1), Immortals After Dark (12)

Shadow's Claim features Prince Trehan, a ruthless master assassin who will do anything to possess Bettina, his beautiful sorceress mate, even compete for her hand in a blood-sport tournament - to the death. HE WON'T BE DENIED Trehan Daciano, known as the Prince of Shadows, has spent his life serving his people - striking in the night, quietly executing any threat to their realm. The coldly disciplined swordsman has never desired anything for himself - until he beholds Bettina, the sheltered ward of two of the Lore's most fearsome villains. SHE'S BOUND TO ANOTHER Desperate to earn her guardians' approval after a life-shattering mistake, young Bettina has no choice but to marry whichever suitor prevails - even though she's lost her heart to another. Yet one lethal competitor, a mysterious cloaked swordsman, invades her dreams, tempting her with forbidden pleasure. A BATTLE FOR HER BODY AND SOUL Even if Trehan can survive the punishing contests to claim her as his wife, the true battle for Bettina's heart is yet to come. And unleashing a millennium's worth of savage need will either frighten his Bride away - or stoke Bettina's own desires to a fever pitch.… (more)

pb
  5083mitzi | Apr 25, 2020 |
Dacian vampire finds his Bride, he ends up not only fighting for her in death matches but tries to woo her even though she clings to a childhood love. Relationships are never easy but the devotion portrayed makes a girl dream
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Bettina, lost her parents when she was young, and then she was captured and tortured by the same creatures who killed her mother and destroyed her father, and now she has no choice but to trust in her guardians, who have planned a way for her to get married, a death match of the fiercest warriors, for she will be queen of the demons. There is one man she has loved more than any other, who has been her friend since she was a child, and wants more than anything to be his wife. But her friend, has a death sentence by the one man who is a merciless killer, and a assassin, who is cold and calculating, and through a series of circumstances, she learns that she is his mate. A man that will fight with every weapon at his disposal to claim her as his for eternity. To her horror both her best friend and Trehan have entered the "till death" contest. As the fighting and competitions begins, a fire burns between Trehan and Bettina, and Bettina will have to choose between her closest friend and the man that holds her desire and her heart...

What a wild ride of dangerous paranormal elements that had me at the edge of this page turner!!! Utterly shocking and tantalizing and fierce and passionate in every way. This was one hell of a story and it has been a LONG time since I have read a story that had me so intense and I just had to read this as fast as I could. There was so much emotion and compelling characters, and this scenario that Kresley Cole has played out for us, WHEW....Ladies and Gentleman buckle your seat belts, for this is one ride you might not come out of alive if you don't watch it.

The heat between Bettina and Trehan is so HOT and I almost got burned....they sure know how to create fireworks, and with one kiss I betcha you all will need to open your windows--yes yes I know its winter, but seriously you will burn to a crisp if you don..hehehehe. These characters are so fascinating and I had such a fun time with them, there is quite depth to each of them, even the side characters. I know at first this seems like a triangle romance...but HELL NO!!! (Shaking finger...don't you guys think that way and let that be a deterrent to reading this....you will be so ashamed if you turn away from this one. Kresley Cole is a truly talented individual, who has the capacity of creating a story that is witty, smart and full on sexy. What else can you ask for? And quite frankly...you won't regret it!! I guarantee it. Just make sure you have plenty time on your hands, some delicious treats, plenty of water (by the gallons), and a nice comfy sitting arrangement, and you will be in the perfect mind frame to get the full aspect to enjoy this one to its fullest. DARING AND PASSIONATE!!

This book and series is connected to Immortals After Dark but isn't officially part of that series. I haven't read Lothaire, and even though there is some reference to him, it doesn't spoil anything from what I could tell. But boy do I need to read that one. :) ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
This BARELY makes it on the abused/traumatized heroine and angst shelves, but the elements were part of what I enjoyed. I liked the tension around Bettina's attack and Trehan's need to protect her. I also enjoy misunderstandings and angst, though I despise love triangles in any form. This was the least frustrating one I've run across - I've put books down that have them in the past but while I didn't enjoy her relationship to Cas, I tolerated it because I love Cole's worls and characters.

I really really really really hope Lanthe's story is soon!!! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Shadow's Claim
4 Stars

Trehan Daciano, a vampire assassin with a cold temperament and rational mind, finds himself in unfamiliar territory when he learns that his Bride is none other than Princess Bettina of Abaddon - the prize in a tournament in which suitors must fight to the death to win her hand. Can Trehan defeat the most dangerous fighters amongst the Lore? More importantly, can he claim Bettina's heart even if he has to kill the one man she professes to love above all others?

Series note: This is book #1 in the Dacia series, a spin-off of Immortals After Dark. However, it can be read as book #13 in IAD as it takes place in the same world and in parallel to other storylines.

IAD is another series that has been stagnating on my TBR for a while now. Although Cole's world building is detailed and immersive, her characters sexy and snarky, and her stories entertaining, the series lost its charm at some point and the recent installments ended up being passed over again and again for other reads. Well, it seems that absence has made the heart grow fonder and reading Shadow's Claim now has reignited my appreciation for the series.

While the tournament plot is exciting and actions packed, and the romance between Trehan and Bettina's is intense with incredible chemistry, there are one or two minor problems with the book.

First, it includes a trope that I dislike, i.e., Bettina believes herself in love with another man even though it is obvious he is all wrong for her. Moreover, she constantly chooses him over Trehan despite the fact that he is an amazing hero willing to do anything to win her.

Second, the book is overly long. It is unnecessarily drawn out with a number of superfluous scenes that could have been shortened or eliminated entirely.

Nevertheless, this is a fun read and the cameos by Nix, Lothaire and Sabine are an added bonus. Looking forward to continuing with Lanthe and Thronos's book next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

A savage kick to Princess Bettina of Abaddon's back severed her spinal cord. A blessing. The searing pain that had been clawing through her entire being faded below her waist to pinpoints of pressure, then tingles, then ... Nothing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,300,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible