Me & Earl & the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Me & Earl & the Dying Girl (edition 2012)

by Jesse Andrews (Author)

Seventeen-year-old Greg has managed to become part of every social group at his Pittsburgh high school without having any friends, but his life changes when his mother forces him to befriend Rachel, a girl he once knew in Hebrew school who has leukemia.
Member:isabelgk
Title:Me & Earl & the Dying Girl
Authors:Jesse Andrews (Author)
Info:FBA Powersetup (2012), Edition: n Uncorrected Proof, 304 pages
Rating:**
Tags:2012

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

English (99)  Spanish (1)  All languages (100)
4 Stars

“If after reading this book you come to my home and brutally murder me, I do not blame you.”

After reading a very deep book that I'm still emotionally recovering from, this light and quick read was a breath of fresh air. It was completely inappropriate, had almost no plot, and had me laughing out loud 50% of the time. It wasn't the deep, heartwarming story about cancer and love that you'd expect from the cover. In fact, this book teaches no deep lesson except maybe that life doesn't always have to be so damn serious. ( )
  kaliwrites | Dec 4, 2019 |
Åh, den hade kunnat vara så bra. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
Not as touching as I thought it would be. Not sure why this is being made into a movie. Wish another book would be written from Earl's point of view this time. ( )
  Reyesk9 | Sep 23, 2019 |
Greg Gaines is trying to make is through high school career without getting much attention. He is a floater, pledging and owing allegiance to no one social group and having only one true friend, Earl Jackson. That all changes when a childhood friend, Rachel Kushner, is diagnosed with leukemia and Greg's mom insists he try to cheer her up. Greg's invisibility is ultimately blown when a secret movie he and Earl were making for a dying Rachel is screened at an all-school assembly.

As the title implies, the book is written from Greg's POV, and he has extremely an self-deprecating sense of humor. He considers himself to be overweight and untalented, and is often selling himself short. This story is far more about Greg than it is about Rachel, and I really appreciate that about this book. Andrews doesn't attempt to teach some great life lesson in the telling of the death of this girl. He talks about friendship and the struggles of being a teen (getting through high school, socially and academically; getting into college; getting along with your parents; etc) with a very real voice.
  KatChin | Jul 10, 2019 |
In recent years, young adult literature has been littered with cancer-related tragedies. I’m sure we can all think of a few off the top of our heads. In Jesse Andrew’s Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Greg Gaines spends each day of high school trying not to stand out. When his mom forces him to hang out with Rachel, a former elementary school “girlfriend” recently diagnosed with cancer, Greg’s inconspicuous reputation combusts.

Greg is a sarcastic teenager with a dry wit and an obsession with avant-garde film, which is occasionally amusing, but more often than not, a bit too overbearing. Rachel is mostly defined by her room, particularly its celebrity crush posters and bright pink pillows, and of course, by her sickness, a frustrating choice that often makes her appear one-dimensional. But this book is not all about Greg and Rachel. Earl, Greg’s irreverent, yet oddly mature for his age, best friend, and Greg’s dad, a learned professor and exotic food junkie, are the true stand-out characters. While they appear in snippets throughout the book, I found myself begging for more about them, and not more about Greg and Rachel.

Unfortunately, the plot is a worn-out one, and even Greg seems to think so, as he mentions many times in the narrative that what he is writing must be extremely boring to the reader. The main problem is that not a lot happens, which may be a by-product of the high school setting. The only time I felt truly engaged was when Greg described all of the various mock movies he creates with Earl. But I honestly don’t know if that is just because I’m a huge movie fan and enjoyed the references. I must admit though that blending classic films with the mind of pre-adolescent teenagers was an extremely clever move and did add a lot of entertainment value.

Of course, the high school clique stereotype pops up every now and then. Most students are categorized into one group or the other, except Greg, who turns himself a chameleon of sorts. I have always been bothered by this simplified view of high school, and the fact that Greg actually tries to branch out into other groups is refreshing, even if his attempts to do so are only to downplay his awkwardness.

While I had my hang-ups with Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, particularly with my disinterest in its main character’s life and story, the book’s supporting cast helped me enjoy a decent portion of it. While I wouldn’t read it again, if you’re looking for a reading experience that will bring both laughter and (potentially) tears, this is your book. I should also note that the movie, which I viewed recently, was fantastic and I highly recommend it.
  Codonnelly | Jun 24, 2019 |
So in order to understand everything that happened, you have to start from the premise that high school sucks.

Egy ​​kis barátságba még nem halt bele senki.
Greg Gaines, a különc kamasz mindent megtesz, hogy bármelyik iskolai társaságban elvegyüljön, vagyis láthatatlan maradjon. Egyetlen barátja van, Earl, akivel kultikus művészfilmekért rajonganak, és szabadidejükben nagy lelkesedéssel és minimális tehetséggel újraforgatják a kedvenceiket.
Egy nap az édesanyja ráveszi Greget, hogy élessze újra barátságát Rachellel.
Rachelnél leukémiát diagnosztizáltak, és Greg eleve hadilábon áll a lányokkal, de anyja utasításának kénytelen engedelmeskedni. Ráadásul, hogy felvidítsa Rachelt, Earllel kamerát ragad, és így nem csak a valaha készült legrosszabb film születik meg, hanem fordulópont jön el mindannyiuk életében.

Jesse Andrews Pittsburghben született, de sok helyen élt már San Sebastiántól Berlinen át Los Angelesig. Regényíró, zenész és forgatókönyvíró. A Harvardon végzett, később írt úti beszámolókat, dolgozott idegenvezetőként és egy német diákszálló recepciósaként. Az Én meg Earl, és a csaj, aki meg fog halni az első regénye.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,604,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible